Cheapest place for artificial insemination

mandycapp
mandycapp Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 November 2020 at 3:24PM in MoneySaving mums
Hello.  I am currently in a same sex relationship and me and my partner have decided to try for a child.  We joined an app which wasn't much use... mostly guys looking for sexual encounters.  We then joined a handful of Facebook groups but we got put off by sperm donors who are obviously doing it for the wrong reasons or trying to create one man armies.  [Removed by Forum Team] (google him).  Is probably the most famous (or infamous) with 200 donor children, yet he tells recipients he only has 3 children.  A complete charletan.  Luckily a woman contacted us who had a child by him and explained what he was up to.

With clinics costing around £1000 a go for a vial of sperm... are there any alternatives?  I tried with my doctor but he said the NHS doesn't fund insemination.  I am not sure if this is just because I am partnered with a woman.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    NHS does in some circumstances but only after you’ve tried yourself several times first, and there’s a long waiting list.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2020 at 11:02PM
    What elsien said. But also, if I were you I would get myself another, decent, and maybe female this time, GP who isn't homophobic. I'd feel inclined to report him for telling you untruths, too because GPs aren't allowed to do that and yours is abusing his position. 

According to the link I've posted you can also contact your local Clinical Commissioning Group as well as your GP about this. (And perhaps report him to them too!) Same sex couples are supposed to be treated the same as everyone else.  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/artificial-insemination/
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    What elsien said. But also, if I were you I would get myself another, decent, and maybe female this time, GP who isn't homophobic. I'd feel inclined to report him for telling you untruths, too because GPs aren't allowed to do that and yours is abusing his position. 

According to the link I've posted you can also contact your local Clinical Commissioning Group as well as your GP about this. (And perhaps report him to them too!) Same sex couples are supposed to be treated the same as everyone else.  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/artificial-insemination/
    Well, if they have been truthful with their doctor and have not yet tried other methods yet. (OP implies that they have only looked into it but not yet made any attempt) then they currently fall foul of
    The NICE guidance therefore expects female same-sex couples to have tried to conceive six times using artificial insemination (funded themselves, not by the NHS) before they would be considered for NHS-funded fertility treatment.
    So the GP is correct. As things stand the NHS will not fund treatment. 

• Aranyani
    Aranyani Posts: 817
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:

Well, if they have been truthful with their doctor and have not yet tried other methods yet. (OP implies that they have only looked into it but not yet made any attempt) then they currently fall foul of
    The NICE guidance therefore expects female same-sex couples to have tried to conceive six times using artificial insemination (funded themselves, not by the NHS) before they would be considered for NHS-funded fertility treatment.

What other methods do you think would work for two women?
  • I read it that unforeseen were referring to not trying private artificial insemination rather than there being a plethora of other treatments that the OP could look into first
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • annabanana82 said:
    I read it that unforeseen were referring to not trying private artificial insemination rather than there being a plethora of other treatments that the OP could look into first
    Such as?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Aranyani said:
    MalMonroe said:

Putting it somewhat crudely, a male friend and a turkey baster.
    However the guidelines say that couples are expected to have funded treatments themselves if using a clinic, before being able to access NHS treatment. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Aranyani said:
    annabanana82 said:
    I read it that unforeseen were referring to not trying private artificial insemination rather than there being a plethora of other treatments that the OP could look into first
    Such as?
    Private artificial insemination, I'm not sure what's causing any confusion. NHS guidelines state this as being the first steps before they will fund.

Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Aranyani
    Aranyani Posts: 817
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2020 at 12:41PM
    elsien said:
    Aranyani said:
    MalMonroe said:

Putting it somewhat crudely, a male friend and a turkey baster.
    However the guidelines say that couples are expected to have funded treatments themselves if using a clinic, before being able to access NHS treatment. 
    Not a very sensible idea.  Male friend would have parental rights if they wanted them.
  • Aranyani said:
    annabanana82 said:
    Such as?
    Private artificial insemination, I'm not sure what's causing any confusion. NHS guidelines state this as being the first steps before they will fund.

Well that’s not ‘other methods’, that’s the same method just paid for differently. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback