Requested PAC code, when does my existing provider stop charging me?

Options
ratechaser
ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 19 November 2020 at 3:24PM in Mobiles
My contract with Vodafone ends on the 7th December. I'm moving to SIM only with Three and requested a PAC from Vodafone 2 weeks ago. I've asked Three to cut the number over on the 4th December so that it's as close to the end of my old contract as possible.

So when will Vodafone stop charging me? Is it:

a) 30 days from when I requested the PAC
b) when the number cuts over on the 4th?
c) when the contact actually ends on the 7th?
d) 30 days after the number cuts over on the 4th?

I'm going from £40/month to £8/month so would prefer not to be paying the higher rate (and overlapping) any longer than absolutely necessary...

thanks
RC

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When the number transfers over to the new network.  If the transfer date is before any minimum term is up with the previous network you may be charged early termination fees - see your contract for details.  You will at least be charged the full amount owed until the minimum term ends as if you didn't leave before that.
  • ratechaser
    Options
    Thank you, that's a good enough result for me!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure but maybe
    e) 30 days after the end of your contract minimum term
    ?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    As Wongataa mentioned, your old contract ceases when the new provider requests they release your old number using the PAC you obtained -and passed to the new provider.

You will have a new temporary number from Three that will cease once they transfer your old number. It would be ideal if the process was as quick as activating a replacement SIM (around 2 hours), unfortunately the swap of numbers via PAC takes around 24 hours and is not done at weekends...
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    J_B said:
    Not sure but maybe
    e) 30 days after the end of your contract minimum term
    ?
    No. Because the contract continues to run until such time as the OP either gives notice, or uses their PAC.
    If the PAC isn't used within 30 days, it expires, and the contract continues.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ratechaser
    Options
    As Wongataa mentioned, your old contract ceases when the new provider requests they release your old number using the PAC you obtained -and passed to the new provider.

You will have a new temporary number from Three that will cease once they transfer your old number. It would be ideal if the process was as quick as activating a replacement SIM (around 2 hours), unfortunately the swap of numbers via PAC takes around 24 hours and is not done at weekends...
    Yes, the lack of weekend transfers is a bit of a pain, especially if I could be without service for a whole day! That could be a problem for work as I need to use it for ID authentication - would it still let me connect via WiFi while the transfer was happening?

Probably a really basic question but I've been with Vodafone for years and years now so not had to go through a network transfer. God knows why I've stuck with them after all the issues they have caused me!
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    You will have a working SIM from Three, with a new number, prior to your old number transferring.
    I recently swapped 2 SIM only contracts from Three to O2, it is fairly painless. Make sure you get a final letter from the original network and don’t cancel your direct debit until you are sure the final bill is settled. My switches both took place around 7am on the next working day after giving the PAC to O2, one was given on a Saturday and changed over at 7am Tuesday.
  • ratechaser
    Options
    You will have a working SIM from Three, with a new number, prior to your old number transferring.
    I recently swapped 2 SIM only contracts from Three to O2, it is fairly painless. Make sure you get a final letter from the original network and don’t cancel your direct debit until you are sure the final bill is settled. My switches both took place around 7am on the next working day after giving the PAC to O2, one was given on a Saturday and changed over at 7am Tuesday.
    Ok, and yes I do have that new SIM and number, I had probably misinterpreted your post as saying that there could be a void period during the transfer process where neither number was working. Guess that isn't the case then and I'll have a continuous service via either the temporary number or the transferred one.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback