Climbing the Mortgage Mountain step by step

edited 20 October 2021 at 1:39PM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
107 replies 4K views

Replies

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    17.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying lamb is not that extravagant - they put the prices down around Christmas anyway. Well done for all you have achieved. You'll get there. I finished work for xmas break today and am sat here just feeling wiped. I hope to put up the proper xmas tree and sort other decs tomorrow. I do have a few lights up but not much
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1644 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 262 payments to go. Now £200720. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you were able to stay safe and still have a good time
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1644 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 262 payments to go. Now £200720. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
  • powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    523 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Welcome back mvtmm, well done on your progress so far! 
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back and well done on your progress.
  • Hi All

Thanks for the welcome back powerspowers and savingholmes.

Had a lovely bargain arrive this week, ordered my replacement chelsea boots from a £5 website and when they arrived they were real leather from White Stuff and originally £79.99!  Even OH was well impressed.

Keeping up the walking to work and homemade coffees.  

I'm going to try and avoid spending during the week and use things up instead of popping to the shops on my way home, we try not to waste food anyway but sometimes its staying late at work or lack of inspiration as much as anything else that leads to these ad hoc shops! 

Last night we had a courgette, broccoli and blue cheese flan which used up some bought puff pastry (2 days past date but still ok) and leftover odds and ends of stilton and Shropshire blue from our purchases at the EAT festival.
    This is a Jamie Oliver recipe and we love it, I've made it several times for family and friends, it always goes down well and is a good way to use bits and piece up, I throw in whatever cheese we have and sometimes mix up the veg or like last night use a slightly bendy courgette.

Tonight is a mexican inspired veg pasta bake which I also cooked last night as I am meeting my longest standing friend after work for long awaited drinks and a catch up.  I sautéed some red onions, garlic, peppers and homegrown baby aubergines, mixed them into a tomato sauce added pasta and topped with a mix of leftover mozzerella and the mexican chilli cheese we also both from the food festival.

Things I need to do:

• Sort out the loft and either throw away, donate or sell unwanted items.
    • Sort through toiletries and prioritise what needs using up, I have a lot of travel size or mini items which I normally save for trips but due to covid these haven't been used as much and I'd rather use them up than they go off.
    • Sort through the Xmas present stash, I buy things during the year as I see a bargain but I need to sort through what I have make a list of who we still need to get something for.
    Have a happy hump day everyone

MvTMM
    Current Mortgage (Nov 20- NOV 39) £130,999 (Interest only) NOW £120,429
    Over payments 2020 £750/£750 (Mortgage payments only start Dec 2020)
    Over payments 2021 £9,000 /£9,000
    Over payments 2022 £750/£9,000
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Loan £8286, £237pm clearing Dec 2024 but aiming to repay by Dec 2023
    Savings (not including 'pots') £5907, aim to be debt neutral by June 2022
  • LadyWithAPlanLadyWithAPlan Forumite
    414 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You look like you are well on track and have a focused workable plan  especially after starting again.

Do you have a recipe for that carrot kofta, it sounds delicious. 

I am eyeing up a part interest only mortgage again to keep my monthly outgoings at a safe level. I don't have enough of a ltv to do it all  but as a self employed single person if I can do it I will. I have enough discipline to do the op. 

I only got a credit card this year to help push up my credit score ahead of buying a home and I definitely see how it's so easy to just swipe and bump up the balance. I often pay it off within a few days as seeing a balance on it annoys me. 
    I need to use it to keep that pesky score but have started leaving it at home as 
    "We delight in the beauty of the butterfly but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty." Maya Angelou

Nov NSD 8/15     Nov  Groceries Challenge  £98.70/ £140  + £13.87/ £100 bulk 
    MFW savings 11/08/21  £67,711.70   16/11/21   £78,093.60 /100K  
    Nov  savings  £5299.93 / £3,603.01

SIPP   
               11/08/21     £26,644.38   03/11/21      £29,521.02
    FIRE   exc home £12k pa 9.84%, £16k pa 7.38%. Current spend inc current rent 8.43% FIRE, 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great win on the shoes and the home cooking
    When you've done your loft can you sort mine for me please?

• Savingholmes, yes, I'll be round once I've sorted mine, how is 2030 looking for you?   :D

Ladywithaplan - the part interest only seems like a good option.  It is re-assuring to me that if my income dropped I could keep the mortgage payments up, even if it meant cutting back the overpayments.  I've been very disciplined with my OPs, I've set up a monthly standing order and am determined to pay off as much as possible during my 5 year fixed period. 

The carrot koftas are yummy and very simple, boil some carrots with chopped onions and dried apricots until soft, allow to cool and then blitz until fairly smooth but leave some small lumps for texture   Place bread, fresh garlic cloves and lightly toasted pecans in processor to make bread crumbs.  Chop some fresh coriander.  Mix together and then form into either balls or quenelles and then bake until golden.  Sorry no measurements as I just use up whatever I have to hand.  You can add dried herbs and spices to the mix, I've used curry spices in the past but prefer the coriander version, I've also used hazelnuts when I didn't have pecans at home.  I make a batch, open freeze and bag up and then cook straight from frozen and serve with flat breads, salad, houmous etc.

I had a lovely evening with my friend, shared a bottle of wine and put the world to rights.

Going to try and avoid a big shop this week, we are away on Saturday and there is quite a bit still in the fridge to use up.  Will need bread etc but might just get that on my way home to avoid the supermarket.  I'm just trying to think what to cook tonight, there is still pasta bake left but I've frozen that for another day as I'm on lates all of next week and it will be easy meals for OH and DD.  I think today may be a chicken curry (either indian or chinese style) as we haven't had one for a while and we have all of the ingredients at home.

Any way, have a great day

MvTMM
    Current Mortgage (Nov 20- NOV 39) £130,999 (Interest only) NOW £120,429
    Over payments 2020 £750/£750 (Mortgage payments only start Dec 2020)
    Over payments 2021 £9,000 /£9,000
    Over payments 2022 £750/£9,000
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Loan £8286, £237pm clearing Dec 2024 but aiming to repay by Dec 2023
    Savings (not including 'pots') £5907, aim to be debt neutral by June 2022