Climbing the Mortgage Mountain step by step

edited 20 October 2021 at 1:39PM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
101 replies 3.9K views

Replies

• Hi All

Had a lovely weekend, very chilled but the weather was amazing for November and we managed to get out in the garden and enjoy the sunshine, OH cut the grass for probably the last time this year.  We had stew M2 on Friday, it was lovely, cheese and port night on Saturday to use up some cheese and a lovely roast gammon yesterday, the leftovers will make pulled pork today and bubble n squeak tomorrow :smile:

I went through the present stash, all 'minor' presents sorted for friends etc but need to sort DGD and a few more bits for DD as well as my parents. and gave the spare room a deep clean.

We also sorted through some of the loft, a huge black bin bag of rubbish, cardboard for recycling, some items to be sold and a few bits to charity.  We changed over some of the toys in the Grandchildren's play area, put some of the baby things back in the loft and brought down a wooden dolls house, brio trains and toolset now that they are getting older, its so nice seeing them play with items that were their parents and some toys never date, like duplo and brio, I'm quite glad of my selective hoarding at times!

Next weekend we are going to bring down all of the Christmas decorations and go through those, discarding any we won't use (I'll probably bring them in to work) and putting up our decorations for this Christmas as we have visitors the weekend after.  That will be the loft pretty much sorted.  Due to the way the bungalow is built, we only have a small area of useable loft and it has a very low head height so restricts how much we can actually put up there, which is a real blessing as it is so easy to think 'I'll pop that in the loft for now' and there is stays..........for eternity!

Any way, I have work to do.

Have a great day

MvTMM
    Current Mortgage (Nov 20- NOV 39) £130,999 (Interest only) NOW £120,429
    Over payments 2020 £750/£750 (Mortgage payments only start Dec 2020)
    Over payments 2021 £9,000 /£9,000
    Over payments 2022 £750/£9,000
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Loan £8286, £237pm clearing Dec 2024 but aiming to repay by Dec 2023
    Savings (not including 'pots') £5907, aim to be debt neutral by June 2022
  • Hi All

I've not posted for a couple of days.  Not been the most MSE to be honest, I've bought a couple of Christmas presents and replaced a pair of boots that I had worn out, they are my staple black Chelsea boots and unrepairable, well actually they could have been repaired at twice the cost of a new pair!  We had the pulled pork as planned on Monday but yesterday a colleague mentioned the Co-op deal, 2 ranch steaks and chips for £4, and as DD was working I decided on an impromptu date night for me and OH, the steaks were delicious, so tender and we had them with mushrooms and stilton sauce :yum:.  I'm out tonight, have an appointment, so DD is cooking a pasta dish for dinner and we will finally have the Bubble n Squeak tomorrow.

Still maintaining the walking to work and bringing coffee from home so a small saving each and every day.  I may pop in to Lidl on my way home from my meeting and see if there any veg boxes left today, mid week seems a good time to get them and they help stretch the budget and create meals with ingredients we all ready have at home.

No more UUs but working my way through 2 cleansers (alternating days) and a moisturiser that has been cut open so shouldn't be too long before the next one!

Have a great day

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
  • Hi All

Another Friday rolls around, these weeks are flying at the moment!

Had an unexpected treat last night, a fresh trout, caught by our friend who fishes but doesn't eat fish!  We had the grilled trout with our planned bubble n squeak, it was lovely.  I didn't get to Lidl on Wednesday, my day was just too busy but we weren't desperate for anything, we will do our normally weekly shop either tomorrow or Sunday.

We have a full weekend this week, possibly seeing a band tonight at a local pub, OH working tomorrow morning and then family visitors (not staying with us but will be nice to meet up) and possibly more family to catch up with on Sunday plus we need to get the decorations up this weekend before DGD visits next weekend.

Anyway, lets get Friday done and then have a lovely weekend.

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a relaxed pace of life or is that just me misinterpreting? Sounds lovely either way. 
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1644 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 262 payments to go. Now £200720. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
  • Hi All

@savingholmes, yes we do have quite a relaxed life.  My OH moved here a couple of years ago from a city and he loves it here, as do all of his family when they visit.  We both work full-time with busy, demanding jobs but our home life is very chilled, we have made the house and garden suit us, garden bar, hot tub and pizza oven and that is where we spend most of our time weather permitting.

We had a lovely weekend, didn't go and see the band on Friday as we were both exhausted and I was late leaving work (why do things always kick off on a Friday afternoon?) so we went home and had pasta and garlic bread and a lovely bottle of wine, one of our better ones, as a treat.  Saturday we met up with a family member and his mates who were visiting our town, first time we've been 'out,out' in a long time, it was really lovely, such a laugh and we also ate dinner in the pub and waddled home to collapse in bed.  Yesterday we did the weekly shop, popped in on the parents and then went home and put the decs up.  I can't believe how much Christmas stuff was up in the loft, we took it all down, discarded some bits, gave away some and just kept the items we will want to use this year.  Then we rounded off the weekend with a lovely steak dinner, courtesy of the Co-op meal deal again.  So not a particularly money saving weekend!  

The plan this week is to eat from stores as much as possible.  We have DGD visiting this weekend and will do a few nice things with her but again I will try and make meals from what we have in the freezer, she is a bit fussy but we should be ok, spare room is all ready for her.  I need to sort out meter readings for Gas and Electricity as we have been transferred over to British Gas from People's Power and I need to set up the account on line.  OH needs to look at his finances as his 0% deal is due to expire.  I have transferred my topcashback monies to my current account and the airtime rewards to my mobile phone account (so no bill to pay this month), just need to make sure I buy the last of the presents with it.

Ok, lets see what Monday has to throw at me!

Have a great day everyone.

MvTMM

All Credit Cards cleared 
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're well set up at home. I hope Monday is being kind... 
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - £1644 to go (but debt neutral) @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 262 payments to go. Now £200720. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £187 including tax relief
  • Hi All

A beautiful sunny day here, but really cold.

Had a good evening yesterday, managed to get 2 more of the steak and chips deal in the Co-op on my way home so have popped the steaks in the freezer for a treat another day.  Also picked up some sausages reduced so they were my inspiration for dinner last night, skinned, cut up and baked with gnocchi, loads of garlic and mediterranean veg :yum:

I was given a little stepped unit for in a kitchen wall cupboard so whilst dinner was cooking I sorted out my ingredients cupboard, it was well overdue, I refilled my spice rack and discovered that I have 4 pots of tumeric!!  The cupboard is so organised now and I can see exactly what I have so no more overbuying.  Hoping to tackle the tins cupboard tonight as that is in disarray.

I put the newly laundered christmas cushion covers on the cushions last night.  I had always had two sets of cushions, one set for everyday and then the christmas ones and swapped them over, storing the ones not in use in the loft, been doing that for years, it was only when we took the christmas ones down this year, they smelt musty, so I was removing the covers to wash them and  I thought why don't I just put the Christmas covers over the top of the everyday cushions?  Less to store and lug up and down to the loft.

Brought my car to work today, as I had some bulky items to bring in, so on my way home I'm going to pop to Lidl and see if there is a vegetable box on offer and also get some of their Advocaat (It is snowball season after all!).  I think dinner may be ham, egg and chips, quick and easy and all in stocks!

Used up a couple of SBC shower gel sample sachets last night and a L'Occitane body lotion one so have popped another £2 in the tin.  

Have a great day

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great plan on Xmas cushion covers
  • Hi All

Another cold day here.

No luck with the veg box yesterday, they didn't have any at all but I did manage to get the last two bottles of their Advocaat so we are all set for snowballs this Christmas.  We had ham, egg and chips for dinner, used the chips from the co-op steak deal and ham from the freezer, a simple but tasty and filling meal.  I've taken a stew out of the freezer for tonight so that's a quick easy dinner sorted. and a bit of space made.

I used up a mini L'Occitane Almande bath oil last night so £1 in savings and ad a £2 coin in my purse so that went in the £2 pot, I also started a new savings plan after reading the 1p a day thread.  You basically save 1p on the first day, 2p the next and so on, so £3.65 saved on the last day, I'm doing a variation whereby you list all of the amounts and pick which one to save that day, making sure you do all of the amounts over the year.  I have backdated to 1st November with the idea of saving the money for Christmas next year, I have brought my payments up to date and each day will see what cash is in my purse and make a payment from that, I should have over £600 by the end of October.

Roll on payday next Tuesday as I want to update my signature figures!!

Have a great day

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
  • Hi Everyone

Well it's 'Friday' for me today as I am now on leave for a few days :smile: got lots of lovely family time planned both at home and away :heart:

Had our stew last night, just what was needed with this cold weather and I managed to pick up 6 oven bottom muffins for 26p on my way home so we had those with it.  I'm making a curry tonight, took some chicken out of the freezer ready for that.  We then have DGD visiting for the weekend so I haven't planned our meals but will make use of what is in the freezer.

UU another mini bottle of the Almande bath oil last night, it has made my skin so lovely and soft.  More money has also gone in the 1p a day pot.  

Sorted out my British Gas App and submitted Gas and Electricity meter readings, no bill generated yet and not been able to set up a direct debit payment either but will get both sorted asap.

Have a great day

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared