edited 20 October 2021 at 2:39PM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
210 replies 7.6K views

Replies

• Me_v_The_Mortgage_MountainMe_v_The_Mortgage_Mountain Forumite
    156 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi All

DD made a lovely spag bol last night, forgot to grate carrot etc in it so didn't stretch quite as far as it normally would, but there is a bit left for another meal.  I picked up 3 x 500g packs of YS mince beef last night on my way home, £1.50 each so they have gone straight in the freezer, I also got 2 packs of brioche buns reduced as I couldn't get any the other day so they have also gone in the freezer.

I've restarted my skin care regime, hot cloth cleansed and used a collagen facemask last night whilst relaxing in the bath, more collagen and a facecream with SPF this morning.  Weighed myself this morning and 2lbs have come off so that cheered me up as have been plateaued for weeks, just need to keep that going, I've got a packet of cream crackers in my desk drawer in case I fancy a nibble!!  :wink:

OH and I are off to the cinema tonight so a quick easy dinner is called for, I think a simple pasta dish, I know we had spag bol last night but we've hardly touched pasta lately.  2 of our group have cried off tonight, which is frustrating as I checked several times before booking the tickets, its only £4 a ticket, am I out of order sending them a link to pay me for it, it seems mean but if I don't it sets a precedent and the £8 will pay for OH and I to have a drink.

Anyway a busy day of meetings ahead so I better crack on, have a good day everyone.

MvTMM
    Current Mortgage (Nov 20- NOV 39) £130,999 (Interest only) NOW £116,650
    Over payments 2020 £750/£750 (Mortgage payments only start Dec 2020)
    Over payments 2021 £9,000 /£9,000
    Over payments 2022 £4,500/£9,000
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Loan £7009, £237pm clearing Dec 2024 but aiming to repay by Dec 2023
    Savings (not including 'pots') £7450 (not inc DDs 18th birthday pot), aim to be debt neutral by June 2022 - achieved, just!  
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would ask them to pay. Why should you have to?

Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • edited 20 May at 11:33AM
    Me_v_The_Mortgage_MountainMe_v_The_Mortgage_Mountain Forumite
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 20 May at 11:33AM
    Hi All

@savingholmes, I did, I sent a payment link on my banking app and they both paid!  They probably think I'm really tight, ah well!

Wet and not very pleasant here this morning so washing is on the airer in the conservatory.  We'll do the weekly shop today, as we have our £10 Lidl Plus voucher and it will expire otherwise, shouldn't need too much this week.

Fairly quiet weekend planned, OH is working tomorrow morning so I'm going to try on my full wedding outfit while he is out of the house, check all is ok, then we'll go and pick up his suit.  I'm going out with an old school friend on Saturday night for pizza and cocktails so that should be nice.  I really need to relist the clothes that I didn't manage to sell, try and get a few more £1s in the savings.

Have a great weekend everyone

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Savings (not including 'pots') £7450 (not inc DDs 18th birthday pot), aim to be debt neutral by June 2022 - achieved, just!  
    19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Glad you got the money. Have fun
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • edited 24 May at 8:33AM
    Me_v_The_Mortgage_MountainMe_v_The_Mortgage_Mountain Forumite
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 24 May at 8:33AM
    Hi All

Hope you've all had a great weekend.  We've had a lovely one.  Did our weekly shop as planned, managed to get two of the £1.50 veg boxes which included a melon, beetroot, avocado and lots of other lovely bits, used our £10 voucher, then OH treated us to fish n chips on the way home and we spent the evening relaxing in the hot tub with a bottle of wine.  Saturday we had a few chores to do around the house and also went to collect OH's wedding suit but annoyingly they couldn't get the right trouser length so we are trying to get them altered.  I met my friend on Saturday evening, we had a really great time, I even played Pool for the first time in 30 years!  Yesterday we had a leisurely morning, breakfast in bed and then went to Lidl, Morrisons and the garden centre to get some bits and bobs for the garden, got 2 dwarf cherry trees, 2 acers and 4 huge glazed pots and bags of compost all at really good prices so spent the afternoon repotting some plants that had become root bound and moving others around before spending another evening in the hot tub soaking away our aches!

Think I might do sweet n sour chicken balls tonight, I have everything I need in the stocks and then make a big cottage pie tomorrow that will feed us again in Thursday before the cinema, DD will be cooking on Wednesday. I really do need to sort out relisting items to sell and pop the money away.  A week until payday and I feel like I have taken my eye off of the ball this month, not been particularly extravagant but its all feeling a bit chaotic!  I need to get on top of things next month with the wedding, then DD's 18th in July and her going to Uni in September.

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    It a big time of change for everyone. 

Gardening followed by hot tub sounds lovely
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi All

Feeling more positive today, had a pounding head and felt nauseous all day yesterday, not sure if it was my vertigo playing up.  Any way, this morning I woke up after a full nights sleep, it was pouring with rain so decided to drive to work today and used the extra time to make myself smashed avocado on toast, I was craving it last night as we had an avocado in the Lidls veg box and it was calling to me!!  Last night I made the sweet n sour chicken and it was a great success so I will do that again, it is so easy to get stuck in a rut with meals.  

I managed to contact the suit shop's preferred seamstress yesterday and we are seeing her on Saturday morning, she will do the alterations whilst we go and get a coffee somewhere so that is one less thing to worry about, I was so relieved I didn't even think to ask how much she charges!  The flowers should be ready for collection this week and I also need to make contact with our caterer and my hair and make up artist to check last minute arrangements, 29 days and counting <3

Tonight's plans are cottage pie made from stocks, then rejig OH's CV, he is keen to find something nearer to home as he currently travels 50 miles each day, need to get it on to Indeed too and then we can settle down and watch Bake Off the Professionals, been waiting for that to come back on!

On payday I will sit down and take a serious look at my money, we need to be super frugal next month and only buy what we really need, we have lovely things planned and already paid for during the month and the cupboards/freezers are full so we can save on grocery shopping.  Longer term we have had a discount code for Ocado, free delivery and £20 off an £80 shop, so I might take a look and do a stock up of basics, tins, pasta, laundry tabs etc, some of which DD can take to Uni with her.

Got a busy day ahead so best crack on, have a great day

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    Couple of quick updates:

I have decided to set up a standing order for Premium Bonds, I know the chances of winning are slim but a regular payment of £25 per month I won't miss plus it's easily accessible but not too easily if you know what I mean.  In my head this takes the place of the Family Assurance Bond I had previously paid in to to save for DDs 18th, this will be a long term savings pot and I don't intend to touch it.

I have also spent some money today that was budgeted for, well, not immediately anyway!  We wanted to replace some of our garden furniture as the pvc rattan set is becoming very brittle, I've had it for 7/8 years and it was second hand when I bought it for £25.  My colleague went to the local builders merchant and asked about a bench he wanted to buy, they know him well and had a couple of benches they were struggling to sell so offered one to him for £50 plus vat.  He showed me the bench, it is really solid and good quality so he rang them and reserved the second one for me.  I've just googled the make and model and they are retailing for £400!  I'm chuffed to bits.  My parents were asking what to get us as a wedding present so I may ask them to pay for that and it will be something that we will have for years to come.

So a bit of impulse saving and spending but I'm really happy with both :smile:

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Lots of positives there. Bench sounds lovely
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi All

The bench has been delivered, OH very pleased with it, especially as we saw it on the H0mebase website for £485!!  I've spoken with mum and dad and they are giving it to us as as wedding present. along with something else, so no cash outlay for me :smile:  I also had some good news for Dad, he is getting £1700 from the VW emissions case, should be with him in the next few days, he's going to take OH and I out for a meal to thank me for my time and effort doing this for him.  I'm going to get OH to check and see if his diesel car qualifies for the claim, I think we checked at the beginning but it seems more makes and models have since been added, definitely worth looking at.

Tuesday night I was late home from work so just made a very quick pasta puttanesca for dinner, this meant that DD made the planned cottage pie last night and it was really lovely, there is enough for dinner tonight which is great as OH and I am off to the cinema to see Top Gun Maverick, can't wait, we watched the old one last night in preparation.  We'll probably have a drink on the way home, with or without our friends.

DD is off to look at a flat next week ready for the start of University, she and 2 friends are looking to share, she has asked me to lend her the deposit money which of course I will.  She had her first Business exam yesterday and feels it went well but unless she has really messed up she has her place at Uni based on her Art and Photography and so the pressure is off a little. 

So, lets get Thursday done and then the weekend is in touching distance :wink:

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared