Garmin Scales

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I see you've never run further than 5k, mainly due to time constraints?

Running folklore suggests that you also need to work on endurance to actually improve your speed over shorter distances.

So it might really help if you are able to squeeze in a bit further (at a slower pace) even just once a week.

Also do you do any "interval" runs?

Eg, warm up, then short max efforts (2 min) followed by a short recovery (1-2 mins), for as many repeats as you have time (I do 10), then cool down.

Ultimate 5k pace is built on the foundations of those two types of training.

I did a slow and steady 6.5 miles this morning 😎😇
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    I see you've never run further than 5k, mainly due to time constraints?

Running folklore suggests that you also need to work on endurance to actually improve your speed over shorter distances.

So it might really help if you are able to squeeze in a bit further (at a slower pace) even just once a week.

That's interesting.  During May, when there was a step challenge through work, I was doing long walks and more frequent running and by the end of the month my RHR had reduced and I did also improve my 5k time.  So, that was not endurance runs, but more overall time active.

Sea_Shell said:
    Also do you do any "interval" runs?

Eg, warm up, then short max efforts (2 min) followed by a short recovery (1-2 mins), for as many repeats as you have time (I do 10), then cool down.

Yes, I do 800 m at 16 k/hr then 200 m at 12 k/hr.  It was suggested by physio to do this.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Monthly update time, but not a great deal to add given all the comments I've added in the middle of the month.

Very pleased with the massively improved PB's for real outside running and nothing done inside as it is simply too hot (especially with the air con broken at the gym).

Resistance training has been so-so.

Anyway, it's another month starting so the wheel starts again.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    If we're talking monthly updates...

*8th-31st July 

Running - 50.6 miles

Walking - 14.3 miles

Swimming - 4 miles

Fitness age 46.5 - VO² max 42 😎

*Since getting my new watch 
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Just found a groovy new feature!!!

If on the Connect website, you compare two (or more) runs over the same course, you can see yourself "racing" yourself, like F1 tracking.

If you open up the course map, and then press play, you get a blue dot and a red dot (plus other colours as you can compare up to 4 "races").    You can then see where you gain or lose time against yourself.
  • Grumpy_chap
    edited 8 August 2022 at 10:39AM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    Just found a groovy new feature!!!

If on the Connect website, you compare two (or more) runs over the same course, you can see yourself "racing" yourself, like F1 tracking.

If you open up the course map, and then press play, you get a blue dot and a red dot (plus other colours as you can compare up to 4 "races").    You can then see where you gain or lose time against yourself.
    This sounded pretty cool!

I just went into the Garmin Connect website and eventually managed to find this - it i seven possible to compare from years back :)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    So hot it made serious exercise rather difficult, but the end few days cooled down and I managed to trim a fraction off my 5k time 😊
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    I've upped my swimming distance to 2000 yds  (60 lengths), and shaved 30 seconds off my time.   52:23

I've not ran a "paced" 5k for a while, but I did my furthest run in ages last week of 6.7 miles, in 1:16:33.  Slow and steady (and hilly)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    WOOOHOOO   :smiley:

Well, today I join @Sea_Shell in the Superior Club:

I also found the tool in the watch for setting a training plan (Garmin Coach) so may consider giving that a go - I assume that must be the feature mentioned up thread where the Garmin then suggests an activity.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Well done!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback