Options

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2022 at 9:55AM
    Options
    WooooHooooo!  :)

I'd actually got a fastest 1k and fastest mile on a shorter run at the end of last week, so I thought it was worth having a crack at beating my 5k time.  Glad to have done so in style, also bettering the 1 k and 1 mile times.

Best treadmill 5k is 20:32, which is how I normally count my PB.

Not sure how that variance between treadmill conditions and real world conditions taking into account obstacles like crossing the road compares.  3:47 difference.  Is that the kind of delta that is to be expected?

Someone mentioned to me that often it is possible to achieve a faster 5k time on a running track than treadmill. I'm not sure whether that is correct or not.  I don't have access to a running track, so it is largely moot. 
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just found this thread...

Can I join in?   I could do with some added motivation 😉

I don't have any Garmin scales...but as you know, I do have a shiny new Garmin and app.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Hi @Sea_Shell

Great to see you here.  I also don't have the Garmin scales but use the Renpho scales which were far more money-saving. That was the decision I originally started the thread to cover.

Then I just started putting in a monthly update and successes so it became sort of like my "blog".  I see you've done something similar in your "Fit Watch" thread - it's great that you have a mile baseline time.

In fact, it was thanks to your other thread that I found functions in my watch to set pace fast and slow prompts / alerts.  I used that today and it certainly worked as it made my times faster.  I was not that surprised to better my 5k as it is ages since the previous record measured this way was set.  I was amazed to better the 1 k and 1 mile (particularly by what seem to be large increments) as it was only last week (14th July = 9 days ago) that the previous records measured in the same way were set.

I also improved another metric from last week that was set 4 k in 19:37 last week and 4 k in 18:56 this morning.  This is not shown in the records screen.

What I could not do in the watch was use the training run target that you mentioned:
    Sea_Shell said:
    @Grumpy_chap

Do you have the connect app or web account?

From what I can see you need to create a training run then send it to the watch (assuming they work the same)

- Training
    - Workouts
    - create
    - Run
    Tap on the run "step", then choose target which can be pace/time/distance/HR etc.

Save once done, sync device.

When you go to do the run you select this workout.  

Hope this helps.
    I was able to do that on the Connect App but not able to sync and find it in the watch to set the run going, as it were.

Maybe I should just use the built-in pace targets in the watch - that seemed to work well this morning.

Anyway, more than happy for you to join in the thread - I find it motivating.  Entirely your choice whether you wish to post your successes in here or prefer to post in your Fit Watch thread.  I saw the update this morning and it's great to have a baseline to work from.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    That's not "my" thread!! 🤭

I've sort of hijacked it 😲😂
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    That's not "my" thread!! 🤭

I've sort of hijacked it 😲😂
    He He :D:o
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Hi @Sea_Shell

Great to see you here.  I also don't have the Garmin scales but use the Renpho scales which were far more money-saving. That was the decision I originally started the thread to cover.

Then I just started putting in a monthly update and successes so it became sort of like my "blog".  I see you've done something similar in your "Fit Watch" thread - it's great that you have a mile baseline time.

In fact, it was thanks to your other thread that I found functions in my watch to set pace fast and slow prompts / alerts.  I used that today and it certainly worked as it made my times faster.  I was not that surprised to better my 5k as it is ages since the previous record measured this way was set.  I was amazed to better the 1 k and 1 mile (particularly by what seem to be large increments) as it was only last week (14th July = 9 days ago) that the previous records measured in the same way were set.

I also improved another metric from last week that was set 4 k in 19:37 last week and 4 k in 18:56 this morning.  This is not shown in the records screen.

What I could not do in the watch was use the training run target that you mentioned:
    Sea_Shell said:
    @Grumpy_chap

Do you have the connect app or web account?

From what I can see you need to create a training run then send it to the watch (assuming they work the same)

- Training
    - Workouts
    - create
    - Run
    Tap on the run "step", then choose target which can be pace/time/distance/HR etc.

Save once done, sync device.

When you go to do the run you select this workout.  

Hope this helps.
    I was able to do that on the Connect App but not able to sync and find it in the watch to set the run going, as it were.

Maybe I should just use the built-in pace targets in the watch - that seemed to work well this morning.

Anyway, more than happy for you to join in the thread - I find it motivating.  Entirely your choice whether you wish to post your successes in here or prefer to post in your Fit Watch thread.  I saw the update this morning and it's great to have a baseline to work from.
    Strange!!

On mine, once synced, I go to ...
    Run
    Options
    Training
    Workouts
    Scroll down to required run.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Thanks for having me...

Some baseline figures to be going on with, and a starting point as it were.   I could hark back to old PBs, but that's ancient history!!

Current weight - 145lbs   (5'6")    Target - 137-140lbs    ("dumb" digital bathroom scales!)
    Current BMI - 23.4
    VO2 max - 40
    Fitness age - 47 (actual 50)

Running
    Fastest 5k - 29:16
    Best top pace - 7:22m/mi
    Best pace - 8:01m/mi (over 0.25mi/400m)

Swimming
    Best pace - 2:38 m/100yrds (over 400 yrds)

Here's to trying to improve on all of the above!!!  
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    Strange!!

On mine, once synced, I go to ...
    Run
    Options
    Training
    Workouts
    Scroll down to required run.
    My Connect App works the same, but the menus on my watch are entirely different.  
    Different watch models of course.
    Anyway, thanks to your input, I found the setting on the watch to have pace alerts, which achieves the same thing and is really useful to getting a better time. :)

I'll share my base data also - I note you have embraced Brexit more fully than I with the use of imperial measures ;)

Height = 165 cm (5'5")
    Current weight = 60.1 kg (132lbs)    Target - 59.4 kg
    Current BMI = 22.2
    Resting heart rate = 53 bpm
    Age = 50

I gave my running stats a few posts back and don't have any swimming stats (normally only swim in a more casual / relaxed style with my wife and don't wear the watch when I swim in any case).

I mentioned in the other thread that I hoped to get my fitness age down to be a teenager again but quick online searches suggest that might not be possible, so I will have to accept the following as a win (though being in the purple section would be nice - wonder what that's called?):

Keen to improve all the above but, above all, to be a 6'6" fitness model:

• Sea_Shell
    Options
    I just use imperial...as I can't work in cm and kgs when it comes to height and weight.  

Running does make you pretty good at converting miles/km😉

10 stone is my "good" weight... anything under that is a bonus.  

Since hitting 50, it seems to be getting harder to maintain... without cutting all the yummy things out☹️

We're not on holiday until September (just UK), so that's a good target as any.

• Sea_Shell
    Options
    I think the purple VO2 sector is probably Elite!!!   Or maybe "superhuman"! 😉😇
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback