HSBC banking statements 2004

hello, not sure if right place so apologies.

I have a critical need to find a transaction between two HSBC account during 2004. Can anyone help? 

Replies

• fworfwor Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's not in the right place - the banking section would be more appropriate. But the straight answer is that if you have not kept statements yourself, the only place to go for help is HSBC - nobody on here can alter that. And HSBC are likely to tell you that they only keep customer-accessible records for 6 years.
    I know from personal experience that they keep records longer than that, and that they may be willing to give you some information if you ask nicely - but do not expect them to give you full account statements for the period concerned. Last time I had to do this, the account data was IIRC about 8 years old, and they would only give me verbal information. One of the accounts obviously has to be yours!
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you have a way of identifying the data (such as account numbers) and the right to access it (e.g. it's your own bank account or for someone you have the right to access) then you could do a DSAR for all the data they hold on you and see what it turns up, be prepared for a lot of data if they still hold it on you, it doesn't have to be in easily readable format either. Banks only have to hold data for a reasonable length of time after an account is closed (they are recommended to keep 6 years but can hold less or more depending on what their justification is). If the account was closed it's quite possible they deleted it or archived it - if the latter you will usually need something like the account number for them to find it. What are you trying to achieve with something from 16 years ago anyway?

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson