If an oil boiler is replaced with electric, does the central heating system also need to be replaced

2»

Comments

• tacpot12 said:
    If I needed 12KW of electric heating, I would check to see if installing two 6KW units might save money. You would also have some redundancy if one unit fails.  
    The same 6kW model from the same company was still close to £1000. You're only losing the extra elements and such so I can see what that would happen. If I was felling really cheap and janky I'd get a hot water tank and install many elements in it and plumb that inline with the rads/pump!

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,922
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2020 at 5:15PM
    You also need to check if your incoming mains electricity supply is capable of supplying the load.  A lot of domestic supplies are only 60 amp and with your boiler drawing 50 amps, that doesn't leave much for everything else in the house.

Also be aware that the value marked on the fuse carrier on the supply Cut Out may not reflect the value of the fuse actually fitted.  Cut Outs labelled as 100 amp may only have a 60 or 80 amp fuse fitted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback