Does anyone buy New mobile phones off Ebay

Options
prop
prop Posts: 19 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hiya looking at buying a Samsung 20+ 5G outright.
There seem to be sellers on Ebay with 4000+ good reviews selling new phones with samsung warranties  way cheaper than I can see anywhere on the internet.
How are they doing this and would/have you bought from these sellers?
Paul

Comments

• prop
    Options
    I sent a message to one of the sellers asking how they can sell them cheaper than Samsung and this is the reply.

Dear Client,
    Thanks for your message.
    It is because we buy in bulk quantity, so they offer discounted prices for cooperate customers like us.

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Which suggests "grey imports" from abroad , not UK stock
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And the word 'cooperate' suggests that they may not be UK based ??

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Grey imports may mean no UK warranty also company may not be UK based . Poor consumer rights repairs etc .
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No, I don't. 
    Because it could be far more trouble than it's worth to do so. And as greyteam1959 points out, that word should really be 'corporate', I would have thought!

You know the old saying about if something looks too good to be true? That.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with the others you could maybe ask a seller to give you the emie and then give it to samsung but if anything went wrong you mist likely wouldn't have a warranty to it
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 November 2020 at 11:42AM
    Options
    I bought a Galaxy A71 from an eBay seller, at a very competitive price, but asked them to confirm it was new, in  a sealed box and U.K. version prior to purchase. They did and it is.
    As with most potential bargains, due diligence is needed beforehand to avoid regrets afterwards.
    Should be co-operate too! Chickens would be cooperated.
  • prop
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys.
  • tomba_2
    tomba_2 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    prop said:
    Hiya looking at buying a Samsung 20+ 5G outright.
    There seem to be sellers on Ebay with 4000+ good reviews selling new phones with samsung warranties  way cheaper than I can see anywhere on the internet.
    How are they doing this and would/have you bought from these sellers?
    Paul

Be very wary!!!
    A lot of "new" mobiles on eBay and Amazon resellers are clones / grey imports /fakes.
    You'll come to realise that you've bought a dud when you try to get it repaired at, say, Apple / Samsung etc. They will advise you that, although outwardly it may look good, the internals are inferior and are not genuine or it is a non-UK spec which carries no warranty in UK.
    Also...of course...a lot of the reviews are paid for (sorry to be a cynic)...always always always read the 1 Star reviews and work your way up.
    Good Luck!
  • prop
    Options
    Just an update,I decided to take the plunge with an ebay purchase, I found a seller with 4500 reviews and 99% positive rating advertising the phone with 2 year UK samsung warranty and saved £275 compared to the samsung web site for the same phone.
    Registerd the phone on the samsung website and its all Legit and I am a very happy bunny.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback