PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Healthy-ish meals made with a kettle?

Comments

• acjc
    acjc Posts: 26 Forumite
    You say the hotel isn't close to the shops. But what about shops at the US airport. Can't you pop in before you go to the hotel?
  • Hello, don't they feed you on these trips or give you some allowance???
    What is everyone else doing? Maybe a lot easier to club together also if you are miles from anywhere at least you would have some company?? Find out where the hotel staff are eating - maybe they have a canteen or something??
    Best wishes Mx
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    I'd be tempted to source some MRE's (meals ready to eat)seeing as you will be in the states these are more readily available there in camping and surplus stores..
    You can find them over here too but they are much dearer.

These look quite cool too http://www.hotcan.com/?gclid=CI7p3JaUkpACFQgsQwodnHz3-g :D
  • Guapa1
    Guapa1 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Wow! some really great ideas, I knew I could count on you lovely people. Thank you so much:j

Pandora123 wrote: »
    :A

Edit: or how about one of these? Can be used for heating tinned foods as well as boiling water, and only weighs 1.5 lbs.

Toastess MultiPot

I've had 2 already and they always seem to short out after a couple of months. They are fab though, get hot really quickly.
    sandy2 wrote: »
    What about tinned tuna, corned beef and instant mash. If all else fails there's Complan
    Surely there must be a local food store close to the airline's hotel

We stay in places sometimes that are in the middle of the highway, or the equivalent of our business areas minus the little express or local shops. Sometimes we stay slap bang in the centre and have many options like in NY there is a deli on every corner. Not in Phoenix though. This month I have the 'middle of no-where' places.
    acjc wrote: »
    You say the hotel isn't close to the shops. But what about shops at the US airport. Can't you pop in before you go to the hotel?
    When we go through arrivals there are only sweet shops.
    Hello, don't they feed you on these trips or give you some allowance???
    What is everyone else doing? Maybe a lot easier to club together also if you are miles from anywhere at least you would have some company?? Find out where the hotel staff are eating - maybe they have a canteen or something??
    Best wishes Mx

We do get paid an allowance, but it makes up my wages as the basic pay is very low in fact it can more than double it! As I have been off for so long with no allowances money is very tight and I have to watch the pennies until February when I get paid this months allowances.
    That is a good idea about the canteen, I'll have a nosy when I'm out there.
    Getting there... A deal at a time. :T
  • carebabe
    carebabe Posts: 225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    some slimfast
    Teamwork means.......never having to take all the blame yourself ;)
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    guapa i have been thinking about you and hotel life and the food problem! in the early nineties i had to spend time in hotels regularly in remote parts of russia and always had to take food because you were never quite sure you'd find any when you needed it. my staple food pack was something like this:

- salami
    - little packed cheeses (like the 'vache qui rit' ones)
    - crackers or ryvita
    - tin of sardines or tuna
    - tin of mixed vegetables (for a 'salad')
    - hard boiled eggs
    - nuts and dried fruits
    - a selection of tea bags

if i had to do it now, and would shop in the UK i would probably bring a tin of baked beans (i like them cold) or a tin of mixed bean salad. also some tinned potato salad.
    maybe some of this would work for you? none of the above requires refrigeration really, which can be useful.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • What about instant porridge? quick and light :)

I'd be wary of hummus (much as I love it) - in my experience it does tend to go off fairly fast if not refrigerated. If you do want to try it tho Marks do packs with three little pots rather than one big one.

If all else fails those pasta n'sauce ready meals might be better than nothing?
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If all else fails those pasta n'sauce ready meals might be better than nothing?

Gosh, I could live off these! But from what I remember, they need cooking on the hob or in the microwave.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Gosh, I could live off these! But from what I remember, they need cooking on the hob or in the microwave.

Maybe you're right :) it's been a long time since I used them...probably since I was a student in fact...
  • when I was a student intrepid types used to puncture a tin of beans and put a bit of water in a kettle, leave the lid off and boil the kettle up a few times. Make sure to never leave it's side though!! (and definitely make a hole in the tin!). I believe they even boiled eggs in there! (though not sure how)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure