PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Resigned to fact we probably now wont be able to move this side of Christmas

Options
In view of the news today that it looks we will be going into a national lockdown , we look like we will not be able to get our sale and purchase over the line until the New year.  Our purchasers have been dithering about after being two months into the process and now are at the point of changing solicitors.  As I understand it during the last lockdown people who had exchanged were allowed to complete and move but if not exchanged, had to wait until lockdown finished.  So frustrating, but totally understand why it has to be done.  Not doing my anxiety much good though.  It will be a totally unique Christmas though - should I open the Christmas trimmings  back up and trim all the boxes I am surrounded by? ;)

Comments

• Ashworks
    Ashworks Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would try not to worry until you know what is actually happening. No point assuming the worst....and no guarantee another lock down would be exactly the same as the last one. The Govt will try and keep things going as much as they possibly can for the economy.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    uralmaid said:

As I understand it during the last lockdown people who had exchanged were allowed to complete and move but if not exchanged, had to wait until lockdown finished.
    You understand wrongly - at most there was advice that people should try to postpone things, but no rule as such. Though there were practical difficulties due to offices suddenly closing down etc.
    No guarantees of course about exactly what any future lock down will comprise. 
  • uralmaid
    uralmaid Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks. I am trying to stay positive. We were getting closer to exchange within the next 3 weeks when my buyers announced late on Wednesday that they were changing solicitors as they were fed up with their current ones not being proactive.  I think if they do, then everything will have to start again or at least be much slower so we wont be able to exchange in November.  My understanding was that during the last lockdown, if people had already exchanged then they could continue to completion but otherwise everything was put on hold. 
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that is what happened, but it wasn't in the rules.  The rules only said that house moves could take place.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Caramac
    Caramac Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m hoping that everything won’t totally come to a halt this time. On the plus side companies have seven months experience in dealing with this. 
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 October 2020 at 7:09PM
    Options
    Caramac said:
    I’m hoping that everything won’t totally come to a halt this time. On the plus side companies have seven months experience in dealing with this. 
    I'm thinking exactly the same. Everyone involved in the process has had several months' in & out of lockdown to develop new ways of working. Yes, it takes longer and buyers/sellers must accept that. Expecting instant responses form solicitors/coveyancers is unrealistic in 'normal' times, let alone now. 

I think/hope, we are a couple of weeks away from exchange. Initially our buyers floated end of October, but that was over ambitious. We're now hoping for end of November, but if it drags on over Christmas, so be it. I've spent a couple of Christmases in the past surrounded by cases & boxes, either in 'old' or 'new' house. At least I have a roof over my head. If we're still here, at least I know how to use the oven :D  
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caramac said:
    Many have cut staff or had them on furlough. Times will remain far from normal. Working from home is less productive as well. 
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    uralmaid said:
    In view of the news today that it looks we will be going into a national lockdown , we look like we will not be able to get our sale and purchase over the line until the New year.  Our purchasers have been dithering about after being two months into the process and now are at the point of changing solicitors.  As I understand it during the last lockdown people who had exchanged were allowed to complete and move but if not exchanged, had to wait until lockdown finished.  So frustrating, but totally understand why it has to be done.  Not doing my anxiety much good though.  It will be a totally unique Christmas though - should I open the Christmas trimmings  back up and trim all the boxes I am surrounded by? ;)
    I can't see how this affects Christmas whatsoever, if moving house is important then a 1 day per year festival shouldn't make any difference. Rethink you priorities and get things in perspective.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • monetxchange
    monetxchange Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 November 2020 at 12:47AM
    Options
    Same boat. I exchanged on Thursday and due to compete next Friday. Hoping nothing goes wrong with that. 

But then was going to pick up the keys next weekend, measure up, get utilities sorted and then move a couple of weeks after that. But now guessing van hire will be shut and essential furniture deliveries will be not happening. I've written off 2020 now after getting my hopes up for a November move.

Looking like I'll be paying mortgage and council tax etc on an empty flat I'm unable to move into for a couple of months.
    Debt Free: 06/03/2020 Highest Debt: £37,514
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure