Reasons for challenging tickets

I have used your excellent advice several times now on receiving various tickets in unfair circumstances and made successful appeals. Today I have reread your Newbies advice but I can’t find advice about something which is nagging me.

I have recently received parking tickets from one of my children who has parked in a further education establishment car park and (stupidly) not paid for their parking. So my question is: these companies are clearly a disgrace with unfair practices and disproportionate charges but as my child really should have known better and does not have a valid excuse, do I still challenge?

I am loathe to pay the charges but equally I don’t any chance of them ending up with a potential court case/CCJ and sometimes in life you learn a lesson quicker the hard way 🙃

Many thanks in advance for your much valued help and apologies if you have addressed this many times before. 

Replies

• Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is, it depends if the signs were clear and depends who the PPC sis, was it F1rst Parking LLP?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think that these charges should be more than council fines.  Does the PPC have a valid contract.  Are their signs OK, their paperwork?    In nearly every case you would be right to challenge.  Look how many get thrown out of court. 
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • funinaboxfuninabox Forumite
    26 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    The answer is, it depends if the signs were clear and depends who the PPC sis, was it F1rst Parking LLP?
    Thanks for the speedy reply. It is Total Parking Solutions.
  • D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, sometimes it can lead to cancellation.,

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers. On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, and hopefully this will become law shortly

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • edited 30 October 2020 at 12:32PM
    Snakes_BellySnakes_Belly Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2020 at 12:32PM

As other posters have commented much depends on how clear the signage is. Also make sure that all addresses are up to date on all related documents so post does not go astray.

A young relative of mine has just passed their test and bought a car. I fear that he will do something similar. 

Terms and conditions of parking should form part of the driving test. It would save young people being stung with these claims.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    funinabox said:
    Thanks for the speedy reply. It is Total Parking Solutions.
    Not very litigious and IMHO I would wait and see. You can't just get a CCJ, as long as they have your correct address and you don't miss or ignore a claim form, if one ever materialises.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    26 Posts
    D_P_Dance said:
    Do you think that these charges should be more than council fines.  Does the PPC have a valid contract.  Are their signs OK, their paperwork?    In nearly every case you would be right to challenge.  Look how many get thrown out of court. 
    How would I check out the contract? Unfortunately I don’t live in the area so can’t judge on signs and due to circumstances beyond our control at the moment my child isn’t currently able to go and take photos. Paperwork seems okay.
    As for what I think about the charges I think £30 a ticket is bad enough but £60 is ridiculous! 
  • edited 30 October 2020 at 12:45PM
    Snakes_BellySnakes_Belly Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2020 at 12:45PM
    How would I check out the contract? Unfortunately I don’t live in the area so can’t judge on signs and due to circumstances beyond our control at the moment my child isn’t currently able to go and take photos. Paperwork seems okay.
    As for what I think about the charges I think £30 a ticket is bad enough but £60 is ridiculous! 

Where was it? 

• Snakes_BellySnakes_Belly Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The college/university may be able to get the claim cancelled.    

26 Posts

As other posters have commented much depends on how clear the signage is. Also make sure that all addresses are up to date on all related documents so post does not go astray.

A young relative of mine has just passed their test and bought a car. I fear that he will do something similar. 

Terms and conditions of parking should form part of the driving test. It would save young people being stung with these claims.

Totally agree. I like to think I’d brought them up not to be tripped up by these things but the world seems against us particularly with Covid now thrown in for good measure!