Anyone else received a call from some maniac claiming to be at Sky?

Just now a woman who could barely articulate herself in English called me claiming she is from Sky and that there is a "security issue" with my broadband and someone is trying to hack my account.  I could barely even understand what she was saying and she became furious when I asked her to repeat herself.  She then demanded I give her my name, date of birth and password to "take you through security."  I declined and asked her to give me the relevant phone number for her department so that I can check it out with Sky and get back to her.  She promptly hung up.
!!!!!!. 

Replies

• giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a scammer and not a very good one either. 
  • FFS2020FFS2020 Forumite
    85 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    giraffe69 said:
    Sounds like a scammer and not a very good one either. 
    just had another one from a different number, again barely able to speak English.  
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play along with them , pretend to be booting up pc , make them hold for ages , then tell them is running "puppy Linux" or some other Linux variant.

They get angry
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    and kept one of them on for over half an hour.
    Unless you were being paid to do it, was it really a profitable use of your time?
    85 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Browntoa said:
    Play along with them , pretend to be booting up pc , make them hold for ages , then tell them is running "puppy Linux" or some other Linux variant.

They get angry
    LMAO!  The 3rd one called and I said "Look mate I know you are a scammer."
    He then had the nerve to say:  "You calling me a scammer.  Who you calling a scammer!  If you hang up on me now I will call you again tomorrow haha"
    This clown really thinks anyone is going to fall for his scam and believe he is actually from Sky?!!!
    85 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Browntoa said:

They get angry
    Yes, I actually look forward to my occasional scam calls, had 3 this year and kept one of them on for over half an hour.

I pretended to be a confused old man slow at moving around the house, took me 5 mins to get upstairs on my chair lift to my PC, 10 mins to boot up my PC (windows updates etc), 5 mins to go back down again to find a pen (to write the TeamViewer code down - even though they said I didn't need to), wasted time talking about my imaginary grandson and hinted about a large amount of savings money etc. I think it was drawing them in because they became really patient with me and transferred me to another scammer up the chain who probably thought they'd hooked a good one.

I even let them connect to a virtual machine on my PC with Team Viewer whilst I had a document on screen saying "F*** off scammer" and then promptly closed the VM.

They said some vile things to me and claimed with their superior technical knowledge they would seek revenge. I laughed at them and they hung up.
    Crying with laughter.
  • tallmansixtallmansix Forumite
    676 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Chino said:
    and kept one of them on for over half an hour.
    Unless you were being paid to do it, was it really a profitable use of your time?
    Not everything in life is about profit, have you heard of charity?

Tying the scammers up for half an hour prevented them from calling someone else. If we all did this it would save a lot of people from misery. 
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76