Deed poll

Wasn’t sure where to post sort of wrong. Son just turned 16 and can finally change his surname , there are lots of online ways it seems ? Some free some charging 
I don’t mind paying if it’s proper, but is there a need ? Just been through one which I think is official and with buying extra copies and something saved on line it’s around £28 . Just don’t want to use a rogue site ! Thankyou x 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,523
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2020 at 9:02PM
    https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
    He can only do the enrolled more official one when he hits 18.
    For now he could just tell everyone the name he will be known as from here on in, using the template in the guide. Cost him nothing, 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hmc
    hmc Posts: 2,483
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You can do it at 16 we have found that much out we have been using known by for 15 years 
  • Hi, my son also changed his name at 16,… long story relating to his fathers family…

Whilst there are free ways of doing it, we used the UK Deed Poll service who provided all of the documentation, letters to provide to school, the passport office and council etc… I think it cost us about £14 in total but it was well worth it to have the stress taken out of the whole ordeal…

They ate online at www.changemyname.org.uk although it seem the price has increased £1 since we used them in 2016.

Hope this helps…
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure