Finding it impossible to trace my daughters child trust fund.

Options
Having recently paid off all my debts,  I decided to trace my daughters (13 & 14) child trust funds so that I could start adding to them to give them a little boost before they turn 18.  With my eldest daughters account being automatically transferred at one point and the original paperwork being destroyed by water damage years ago. I thought filling in the trace request through the .gov website would be quick and simple enough.
 One daughter's came back with a provider. but the letter in response to my older daughter's inquiry states that because she didn't receive a child benefit award until after the 3rd of January 2011 she wasn't entitled to a child trust fund.  However, I have been in receipt of CHB for her since 2005 and was paying into her child trust fund before my husband died in 2007. 
I have called HMRC several times
- the number on the letter went through to a recorded message giving out the general inquiries line number
- following the options for child trust funds on the general line led me to a recorded message saying you could no longer apply for a CTF.
- I followed the options to speak to any person hoping to get transferred to someone who can help me sort it out and was told there is no number for them to transfer me to.
I found a child trust fund helpline number called it several times to make sure  I wasn't miss dialing as it was an incorrect number.
so I called CAB and they gave me the broken helpline number and sent me back to the HMRC form.
I have called my bank asking for statements from 2005 to 2007 to try and find the provider but If we were making the payments from my late husband's account that is going to be another dead end.
Does anyone have a number at HMRC that actually works or any other ideas on what I can do to try and trace this missing account?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I would try the General Helpline number again, and ask to speak with a manager. If there is a webservice for tracing CTF, there will be someone responsible for the service - you need to put pressure on the manager to the trace the tracing service within HMRC(!). If they won't take responsibility, make a formal complaint about the lack of service. 

If there no chance that the same provider was used for your elder daughter's CTF as was used for your younger daughter's? 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • phoenixmaid
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @tacpot12. I hadn't thought to check with her sister's provider. so I gave them a call. They didn't have it so I just started calling CTF providers and asking them to run checks. Thankfully I got lucky and it was with the 3rd company I called.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done! I'm glad just a little persistence paid off for you. Now you can start saving!
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback