PPI Out of jurisdiction - Am I being fobbed off?

Options
When I have contacted Halifax and Lloyds by telephone they have both said that my claims are out of jurisdiction because I had not contacted them within 6 months since their last decision. I have only ever had two letter off them. One to say they had received my claim forms and the other to say due to high demand there could be a further delay in resolving my complaint. I have had no further correspondence from them apart from a telephone call from Halifax in February of this year asking some further questions but that is it.
Has that happened to anyone else? Do they do this to put people off making further enquiries?
It sounded as if the call centre assistant was reading from a script and both said they could not discuss the case any further with me because of it being out of jurisdiction. I am unsure what to do now. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Camino

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No. There's no off-fobbery.

Raise a complaint re not receiving a decision letter and see what they say.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has that happened to anyone else? Do they do this to put people off making further enquiries?

No.   The process is defined.  Letter of acknowledge.  Holding letters (if going to be held up) and then the final decision letter.    You have 6 months to appeal the decision in the final letter.   After 6 months, you are barred from referring it to the FOS unless there are justifiable circumstances.   Incapacity and death of an immediate family member are just about the only times the FOS overrules a time bar.

It sounded as if the call centre assistant was reading from a script and both said they could not discuss the case any further with me because of it being out of jurisdiction

They probably are reading from a script template that covers your scenario.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Camino66
    Options
    Thank you for your quick replies. I have definitely not received the final decision letter. I had been waiting patiently due to these current times, and just kept thinking I'd hear something soon. Is it the banks I complain to in the first instance? 
    Thanks in advance.
    Camino
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Camino66 said:
    Thank you for your quick replies. I have definitely not received the final decision letter. I had been waiting patiently due to these current times, and just kept thinking I'd hear something soon. Is it the banks I complain to in the first instance? 
    Thanks in advance.
    Camino
    If the banks can prove they sent the final offer / rejection (proof of posting is all that is needed, not proof of receipt, for the obvious reason that you could just pretend you never had it to extend the deadline) then the time bar will be valid. You can speak to the banks and ask them to show proof that they sent it and to which address. If it was sent to the right address and they have proof it was sent, the time bar is valid and the FOS have no power to overrule unless the banks agree.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it the banks I complain to in the first instance? 

You go back to the bank and say you never got the final decision letter.     Do be aware that not receiving it in the post when it is correctly addressed is not normally sufficient for the timebar to be removed.  The bank would need to volunteer to remove it.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bbgolf1234
    Options
    My wife signed a letter of authority to a ppi claims company, she received a sum direct from a bank who split the payment equally between my wife and myself. Would I also be liable to pay the Ppi reclaim company's 24%fee on my proportion of the settlement even though my wife is their client not me, I have not signed anything or had any direct contact with the reclaim company 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 December 2020 at 6:22PM
    Options
    No. She will pay the fee on the full amount, so will be left with about half of her share of the redress.
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No. She will pay the fee on the full amount, so will be left with about half of her share of the redress.
    This. No but in effect yes, if you share your finances.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My wife signed a letter of authority to a ppi claims company, she received a sum direct from a bank who split the payment equally between my wife and myself. Would I also be liable to pay the Ppi reclaim company's 24%fee on my proportion of the settlement even though my wife is their client not me, I have not signed anything or had any direct contact with the reclaim company 
    You have no contract, you are not liable, though as you're presumably still married and together one way or the other, she will pay up the full amount or you can pay your share, you can't simply refuse to pay the other 50% and expect the CMC to walk away, they'll simply bill her and trash her credit rating if she refuses. If you're split up, then absolutely don't pay squat, she chose to use the CMC instead of using the simply, free complaints process direct and she can pay the lot.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback