Would I be eligible for compensation?

Mads94Mads94 Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, first time poster here. 
Around a week ago, our broadband turned off unexpectedly. We called EE (our provider) who confirmed that this was due to us changing to a new broadband provider. Neither me nor my husband had requested this. They couldn't cancel it as it was already in progress but have started the process of setting up a new broadband for us, written off any cancellation fee etc - they've been brilliant. They couldn't see which company it had been changed to. We'll be reconnected on November 2nd.

I called around various companies and found that it was TalkTalk. They confirmed they had a new broadband account on our address, I gave both our names and they told me they couldn't give me any more information as we aren't the account holders. I told them the account had been set up either fraudulently or in error, as we live in the house. Talktalk were rude and told me it must be someone living in the garden as they carry out a credit check before setting up an account. I advised this isn't possible as we've lived here for three years and they backtracked and said "well we carry out lots of checks". I said I'd be contacting ofcom regarding slamming and would never use talktalk services, they then spent 5 minutes on the phone telling me not to contact ofcom, it wasn't their fault, they didn't switch our Internet off etc. 

I work from home and I'm now spending extortionate sums on data add-ons. As far as I see it, this has been caused by TalkTalk either slamming, or not carrying out appropriate checks and searches before accepting new contracts (we haven't received any talktalk Internet equipment or letters to the house, which seems strange). Would I have a right to ask talktalk for compensation for the money I've had to spend on data? 

(I've already reported them to Ofcom) 

Replies

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who are you buying the data add ons from out of interest?
    AFDs 2013-313, 2014-289, 2015-321, 2016-276, 2017-276, 2018-240, 2019-285, 2020-267, 2021-184 to end of July
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1833.53/£1750, 2021 - £2661.39/£1750
  • Mads94Mads94 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Barny1979 said:
    Who are you buying the data add ons from out of interest?
    My mobile phone provider, iD (from Carphone Warehouse) 
  • The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    859 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    TalkTalk (or any other ISP) do not randomly order service at a property.
    What I do not understand is why EE did not send any communication as they would have been notified by TT that they were taking over the line under the "gaining provider" system.
    Someone else must have made an order for the process to start and as you say, TT have the new account holders details.
    It could have been a home move where someone entered their new property details incorrectly and if they were currently TT customers, they would have passed all the relevant checks.
    You'll have to prove that TT acted incorrectly, but that could be difficult if they actually had an order correctly submitted.
    EE are at fault too for not sending any sort of "sorry to hear you are leaving" communication.

• Mads94Mads94 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    TalkTalk (or any other ISP) do not randomly order service at a property.
    What I do not understand is why EE did not send any communication as they would have been notified by TT that they were taking over the line under the "gaining provider" system.
    Someone else must have made an order for the process to start and as you say, TT have the new account holders details.
    It could have been a home move where someone entered their new property details incorrectly and if they were currently TT customers, they would have passed all the relevant checks.
    You'll have to prove that TT acted incorrectly, but that could be difficult if they actually had an order correctly submitted.
    EE are at fault too for not sending any sort of "sorry to hear you are leaving" communication.

That's a good point about it possibly being a home move, thank you as I hadn't considered that.

I can't understand why we've received nothing to this address to confirm the change or with talktalk equipment etc. They said they couldn't cancel the order as I wasn't the account holder but we've received nothing. EE have given my husband credit for his EE mobile to apologise for their part but I'm with a different provider. 

Both sides have said they're not at fault, in all honesty I don't care who's at fault 😂 I'm just so frustrated that we have no Internet until November 2nd while we're in full lockdown and it's half term so I'm trying to amuse a 6 year old with no TV (we just use netflix/prime etc, no terrestrial TV) while also working from home 😬 
  • ZellahZellah Forumite
    303 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    EE are also at fault for not sending you a "sorry to hear that you're leaving us....." letter by snail mail.  Therefore you woudn't be in this pickle if EE had done their job. Maybe ask compo from them or at least a 4G data sim until they have you back up and running?

• The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    859 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    @Mads94, I am a long time member of TalkTalk's online community and in every case reported there of attempted slamming the first clue is always a "sorry to hear you are leaving" communication from TT which is appears to be automatically generated once an order to take over the line has been placed by the "gaining provider", EE should have done the same.

I suggest you go back and check for any emails from EE that might have ended up in SPAM or could someone have accidently binned a letter from EE thinking is was junk ?