Klover Dea Eco 8 Pellet Heater Reviews/Thoughts?

Considering switching from wood heater to pellet heater. Understand it will basically cost me twice as much in fuel a year. However, we live on a hill and I'm tired of lugging wood up hill, stacking it, drying, splitting and then bringing it in to burn along with all the mess. My backyard is full of wood, drying it out for next year. Anyway, I've tried searching online and can't find much feedback/reviews on Klover Dea pellet heaters. From what I've seen Klover is a fairly ok brand but anyone used a Dea and/or Dea Eco? A local business who does pellet heater installations is closing down and they are clearing stock. Good price so considering getting one to use in the future once my current mountain of wood runs out.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'd think very carefully about it
    I haven't a clue about the unit you are looking at but it does seem that pellet boilers are not everso reliable so you'd need to make sure that getting a cheap one from a firm that's closing down doesn't leave you at the mercy of someone miles away.or that spares become difficult to obtain.
    You also have to bear in mind that pellets aren't everso cheap either, have to be purchased from a certificated supplier if you want to claim RHI, have to be store somewhere that's bone dry (they absorb moisture) and you have to manhandle the bags of pellets to fill the boiler unit.
    Just my opinion you understand but TBH I've never really seen the appeal of pellet biomass boilers
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • creztor
    creztor Posts: 12
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2020 at 10:37PM
    Hi, in Australia so no RHI. The appeal? There are a few. First, we live on a steep hill. Getting wood up to where it can be stacked is anything but fun. I use an electric winch and cart with a makeshift track but it's still no fun. Second, most people here sell green wood, so you need to keep two stacks. One that you dried and are burning now and another stack that you are drying for next year. This leads me to the third reason, space. We burn about 10m3 of wood a year. So really need around 20m3 stacked which takes up space, a lot of space on our 900m2 block of land that is on a hill :-). My backyard is currently full of wood drying for next year. Finally, just the work and mess. Need to lug the wood up hill, split it, stack it, then move it in out of rain and stack before burning. It's messy and dirty.
    I completely agree on the cost though. We currently run the wood heater about 6 months of the year and burn probably 18 hours a day. It's really running non stop but obviously not flat out all the time. That costs me around 550 GBP a year. Running a pellet heater 24/7 for same 6 months would cost me around 1400 GBP. Running it 12 hours a day would cost around 700 GBP. Parts are another thing. Klover is Italian but there are local places selling Chinese models that "claim" slightly better efficiency.
    Anyway, I've rambled enough. If we lived on a flat block then I'd stick with the wood heater we have. But currently there's too much work moving it up hill and space taken up. I'd rather use that time on more important things like with little ones.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback