Tax

Options
For the first time I had untaxed interest in tax year 2019/2020.  HMRC have sent me a demand but no breakdown of the interest declared by the banks - I cannot see how they got to their figure, it is wrong by some margin.
I also cannot see the information online - can everyone else? 
I have just spent a very frustrating 45 minutes on the phone to HMRC and got nowhere.
how do I report the interest? I cannot seem to set up an online self assessment account (it tells me I have one but the last time I used it was in 2008 and when I called today they could not see it- just my one account that I already use and so I cannot reset it). I assumed I would need to report the interest by online tax return but I can't! I have written to them and now called but no one is helping me.
The useless person I spoke to told me I need to tell my bank to report the interest but I have several and no idea what information they have already given. Should I just copy my interest certificates, send them to HMRC and let them sort it out?
It is also impacting on my tax code for this year - HMRC have issued three different ones so far this year based on "estimated interest" presumably from last year.
Help!
Saving for an early retirement!

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family