Any disadvantages to having two large windows?

Hi
I'm getting new windows installed. Currently in the second bedroom there is one unit, around 1.3 metres in length made up of one pane of glass in the middle flanked by two opening windows on each side (sorry if my terminology isn't correct). These are been replaced with two opening windows that meet in the middle.
I've already put the order in and surveyor has come round but I'm having second thoughts and whether just to mimic what is already there. 

Are there disadvantages by just having the two large opening windows instead of having them being separated by a third window in the middle? 

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I dont know of any disadvantages.
    Why did you go for a different style of window ?
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It will look far better if you mimic the original windows.  
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I prefer less frame and more glazed area. It's your house, do what you want.
    When I replaced the windows in mine, several went from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1.
  • DCFC79 said:
    I dont know of any disadvantages.
    Why did you go for a different style of window ?
    Didn't really think about it. Just went with what the guy said. Done the same in the kitchen downstairs but that I prefer as there will be a lot more glass
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The larger the window, the greater the loading on the hinges. If the opener is particularly large, you may find the hinges fail fairly early in their life. It is worth getting a set or two of spare hinges and chucking in the back of a cupboard.
    Had to replace a pair of hinges on a very old DG window. New ones were unobtainable.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Replacing the glass will be more expensive if a unit does fa
  • For those who've been struggling to sleep and checking this thread every minute for an update, I have one. Safestyle called me back to let me know the window will be too large to have to large openings. I've now got to let them know what I want. For the bedroom, will likely copy what we have already with 3 panes of glass. For the kitchen, I asked if we could do one pane which opens from the bottom but that's not possible. 

Thinking I'll go with 2 smaller windows on each side and one big windows in the middle. 
  • For the kitchen window, how about a very large pane at the bottom and one (in the middle) or two (at either side) small opener(s) at the top? Thats what I'm thinking of for my main kitchen window - providing better view through the bottom part of the window and the top openers can be left open when I'm upstairs. I do have a back door nearby, so unlikely that I'd need to get out of the kitchen window in an emergency (think I would struggle to actually do so anyway!).
  • you haven't given a height , a 1,3 with 2 side openers alone isn't too big . 650 openers are fine . height dependant , if its getting split into 3 upstairs that would be around a 400mm opener which is too small to be classed as a means of escape .egress hinges must be fitted as standard . Again I don't know the height but recently fitted a 4ft square frame (1,2 x 1,2) split into 2 .with a floating mullion so they open fully like French doors . Looked great and very practical because they got a wardrobe and bed through , consider the weight of glass and if to open from the side or bottom . 
  • I am considering getting a new window, the old one has draughty seals.
    I am thinking about just getting one opener instead of two.
    A DIY window, for around £300
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure