Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Buying a house near a mushroom farm

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Buying a house near a mushroom farm

24 replies 2K views
I've just had an offer accepted on a lovely house in a lovely area but I've now realised that it's close to (less than half a mile as the crow flies) from a mushroom farm. 

A cursory glance at Google suggests these farms can regularly be very smelly. Before I go and canvas other residents in the area for their opinion I thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience of them? 

Obviously not wanting to buy a house near something that we know will be smelly so leaning towards pulling out.

Cheers.

Replies

• badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just had an offer accepted on a lovely house in a lovely area but I've now realised that it's close to (less than half a mile as the crow flies) from a mushroom farm. 

A cursory glance at Google suggests these farms can regularly be very smelly. Before I go and canvas other residents in the area for their opinion I thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience of them? 

Obviously not wanting to buy a house near something that we know will be smelly so leaning towards pulling out.

Cheers.
    Oh dear. I too have just done a quick google and I think I'd be walking (or running) away from this one.

We live semi rural, with farm fields opposite so are used to obnoxious smells. However, they are around for only 3 - 4 days twice a year when they're muck spreading, and we are prepared to live with that in exchange for the open outlook. We've been totally honest with our prospective purchasers, but are very grateful they didn't actually view during those particular days ;)
  • NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watch out for badgers.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Watch out for badgers.
    There is nothing wrong with badgers!!! 
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers.
    How big is this mushroom farm?  I remember visiting a very small one - just an outbuilding with some mushrooms growing - and there was no noticeable smell. Maybe it depends on the type of  compost and mushroom?

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • crispy_chriscrispy_chris Forumite
    504 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    GDB2222 said:

Cheers.
    How big is this mushroom farm?  I remember visiting a very small one - just an outbuilding with some mushrooms growing - and there was no noticeable smell. Maybe it depends on the type of  compost and mushroom?

Unfortunately it looks quite large. Multiple large greenhouse type things, several lorries on the Google earth view. If it's a warning flag for us now, it'll be a warning flag if we ever come to sell so I think our decision is probably made.

I appreciate all of the mushroom puns too! 
  • edited 17 October at 10:15PM
    MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 October at 10:15PM
    I also did a quick google search and TBH nearly all the horror stories of smell were overseas and a few years back. I think doing your own research (that is actually visiting it and asking around) on this particular farm is the only way, if it was a problem I would be expecting stories in local newspapers from complaining local residents etc.