Curry’s PCWorld have processed my transaction twice

Options
I bought a TV from Currys on 28.09.2020 and the initial card transaction froze. Another assistant checked it went away, returned and said that the transaction had failed and no payment would be taken for it. I was asked to process the payment a second time and did so. On returning home I checked my email and had two copy credit card receipts from Curry’s for the same amount at different times. I checked my credit card statement and found two transactions. Actions taken so far:

Struggled to find a way to contact Curry’s on their web site. I did find a phone number but that had a warning for 1 hour wait times
Contacted my card provider but their advice was to contact Currys and two transactions show on my account
Put details on Resolver but no response from Currys
Emailed Alex Baldock, CEO of Curry’s, and response on 29.09.2020 was to pass the information onto the’Team Knowhow CEO Support Team’ but I have not had any response, despite a follow up request to Alex Baldock on 03.10.2020

Any ideas as to how I can chase this up in another forum/ trade bodies etc?

Comments

• Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 October 2020 at 1:50PM
    Options
    I once had something similar happen while on holiday abroad.  It was a genuine mistake but I ended up being charged twice for one transaction.  I contacted my CC company to dispute the additional charge.  A slight complication was that it was a foreign currency transaction and both entries were on different days, so slight difference in the FX rate meant the two amounts were not identical.  But I explained all this to the CC company and they immediately put a ‘hold’ on BOTH transactions while they contacted the vendor to investigate.  Being abroad, this took a while, but both transactions were removed from my CC statement during the investigation period.  When resolved, the CC company added back one of the transactions and cancelled the other one.  All very easy really.
    So, in this case, if Currys won’t help, deal directly with the CC company and explain that you dispute the additional charge - basically one of them is unauthorised, which is potentially a serious matter.  The CC company should then deal with the whole matter.
    I wouldn’t bother with other forums, trade bodies or CEOs at this stage - just insist that the CC company deal with the unauthorised transaction.
  • nitramh1
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, but as I explained I have already tried contacting my credit card provider and they said that I had to contact Curry’s, hence I am looking for other avenues to open up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
     You haven't been back into the store where it happened with your paperwork? 
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    nitramh1 said:
    Thanks Mickey, but as I explained I have already tried contacting my credit card provider and they said that I had to contact Curry’s, hence I am looking for other avenues to open up.
    Please say who your credit card provider is, so I know who to avoid as their customer service is appalling.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nitramh1 said:
    You said that your CC company suggested going back to Currys, which seems far enough - in the first instance.  However, having now had no luck with that approach I would go back to the CC company and raise a formal dispute on one or both of the transactions.  Explain to them that you only authorised ONE of the transactions and that therefore that the other transaction is unauthorised by you.  Might be fraud, might be a mistake somewhere, you don't know but what you do know is that one of the transactions is unauthorised.  Might also be worth mentioning that Currys only gave you ONE tv as well, so charging twice for it seems a bit excessive ;)
    If the CC company person tried to fob you off again, ask them how to lodge a formal dispute for an unauthorised transaction.  Ask to speak to their manager.  Ask to speak to their fraud department if necessary.  I really think you have to pursue the CC company head-on rather than being deflection down 'other avenues'.
    Good luck!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure