SMS Competition Rip Off

Options
milo_3
milo_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
Pror to Martin's Web Site and book my finances were caotic to say the least but after taking my head out of the sand and looking at my expenditure I found to my horror my largest unneccessary expense was my pre-pay mobile phone. I entered a number of competions with the lure of a car etc and they then were texting me with other "offers" which took £1.50 per message off my balance (at least three per day!) i.e £31.30 per week over £120 per month. (It was in the small print). I laughted when I heard of the ring tone rip off but never realised how much I was being stung for. (I've probably paid for the prize myself). SO BEWARE the 50p text is not the end only the beginning...........So how do they get away with it? and why when you ring your service provider are they powerless to help. I even suggested I cease to put money on the phone and they said as soon as I put money on they would take the charges for the texts off the balance. So ithe sim card is in the sewer with the other "rats" and after notifying my provider it's no more. I'll be buying a new card exclusively for my friends and family. :T

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Milo, keep an eye on the Freebies board for 02 simcards, also Virgin and Orange have given them away recently so you won't need to buy one.

Welcome to MSE ;)
  • PinkPig
    PinkPig Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Premium rate text messages are almost always a complete rip-off and worth avoiding like the plague. Normally a text to the number they're coming from with the word "STOP" will stop them, but some of these places seem to ignore that. Obviously it's much more of a danger for people on contract who could end up paying enormous somes of money, but £120 per month is already ridiculous. Didn't you notice you were topping up such an enormous amount more than you were spending?
  • nebula
    nebula Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    IF you were had by Netsize, or wixawin.com, go to my posting under SMS Rip-Off from Netsize. Regards, Nebula;)
  • skyelord
    Options
    This is the TV competition text this number to win I recieved text weeks later to say youve WON. called they took address :-) Guess what Im still waiting obviously cheque is in the post LOL still theyve ripped me off over £25.00

This from my service provider

The Premium Messaging Service that’s active on your account is from Text Short codes 88818 and 87771. I’ve tried calling the contact numbers but it’s asking to send text from the Three number or to leave your name and number and they will get back to you. So I’m giving you the details so that you can contact them.

Short code number: 88818
    Name of the provider: SB7 Mobile
    Contact number: 0845 869 7559
    Escalation email: [EMAIL="info@switchfire.com"]info@switchfire.com[/EMAIL]

To send text message to this short code number you’ll be charged 10p (per event charge) and to receive you’ll be charged £1.50 (per event charge)

Short code number: 87771
    Name of the provider: Touch Mobile
    Contact: [EMAIL="help@touch-mobile.co.uk"]help@touch-mobile.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    0844 826 6870
    Escalation: Mobile Interactive Group 0870 766 4889 [EMAIL="customercare@migcan.com"]customercare@migcan.com[/EMAIL]

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure