We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Options

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 19 April at 6:24PM
    Options
    Oddly enough, I've just been watching a gentleman on YouTube, who was saying playing safe is what stops many of us fulfilling our true potential. He used the example of someone staying in a non-challenging job, rather than taking a  risk to seek something more rewarding. Riskiness isn't encouraged . How often do you hear "Stay safe!" these days? :o We all know where that came from! Who benefited from us thinking we weren't? Oh, yes, but I can't say here!
    I'm also reminded of an MSE person from some time ago, whose signature was, "Do what you always did, and you'll get what you always got!" She started her own business in a particularly tough sector, and succeeded. o:)
    So, I say "Go for it, pp!" but have a good rest first!!! B) One of the happiest times Mrs Dusty and I enjoyed, was after closing our business and selling our house. We were somewhat stressed by being in a rented house with all our money in a very wobbly banking sector, (2008) but suddenly we had time to do things together that weren't 'work.' In a sense, I wish that period had lasted longer, but we found this place, and there was no escaping it. :| We tried! :D
    Anyway, just watch out for the polar bears, because I've reduced 15 dumpy bags of heavy garden detritus to CO2 today. Sorry!  >:) The wonderful sunny weather we seemed destined to have first thing, didn't stay, so the cool, windy and cloudy conditions with a few spots of rain suited a big conflagration. Hooray, that's the legacy of winter gone! :)
    “Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.”
    ― Aldous Huxley
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,072 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry you've been made redundant pp, but at least the decision has been made now and you can decide where you're going next. Without prying - are you close enough to retirement that you could coast until state pension kicks in? Was your redundancy package one that you stretch a good long time? Not asking for answers to any of this btw, just thoughts. Could you create a different life now, with less money, but it still be good enough? Do you have enough for a smaller slower life is what I'm saying I guess, and would you be happy with that? When me and himself were both working we were stressed and arguing, hardly ever in at the same time, eating badly/for convenience, and we were both unhappy. When we moved here the jobs I could do were very unappealing and badly paid (and mostly in 'Ull) so I don't work now. I took control of his (below average) wages and spend it more wisely than he ever did, and yes our life is smaller (we're not new cars every year + lots of holiday sorts anyway) but I make 2 peaceful - if v old fashioned - lives out of his wages. We're much happier now. So could whatever you/s have now create something different but better, is what I'm saying I guess. 

And now I've forgotten what everyone posted ha haa! Nice to see baby blackies Dusty, hopefully lots more to come. I don't think I've any here because my ones are taking food back, yet. I don't know what the experts say about attracting more birds to your garden 2p, but I just started putting food out and they found it eventually. Have you predators scaring them away? 

I don't know what's up with my toms Farway, they get the same treatment as everything else. They're in the tiny front bedroom in the morning for the sun, then into the NW facing conservatory at the back for the afternoon sun. Some things have come up strong (not the ones I really wanted mind but that's Sod's Law) and there's not a peep out of the toms. I'm only doing the same things with them as I did last year and look how that turned out so I'll just be patient.   

They've given a lovely dry sunny day here, which it may very well be when the rain stops. Not warm though, that wind is straight outta the Arctic :brrr: 
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    If I remember rightly my garden is the same orientation as yours, so are you having more than one sitooterie? A sunny one and a shady one? 
    I'm not a huge sun lover, so nearer the house is good for me - it's in full sun in the afternoon, but I tend to want to sit in the garden around 10 with a cup of tea (we have a regular teams catch up then, so I take the call on my phone).

The patio on the other side of the garden will have the table and benches, and will also be shady in the mornings, but if I'm sitting out to eat (or if there's guests and we have a BBQ) that will be in the afternoon and it will be sunny (and I will be under a patio umbrella :D

I don't think that swing is for me really - bit too fancy for my taste and they don't do a more simple version - but I do like the whimsy of a swing so might look for a metal or wood rocking chair as a middle ground :)
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback