Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,322
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2023 at 3:23PM
    Aye, I think I'm getting to the age where I have to think about vitamins/diet and maybe supplements (not getting by on cold pizza for breakfast like I could a decade ago!). I've been seriously considering some vitamin d at the least as they say we're all short of it (especially in winter) but I wonder what plants I can grow to have some healthy vitamin boosting salads and the like (bringing it back to the topic of the thread :D) and planning what I want to grow next year. They say you should eat the rainbow, so it might be fun to see if I can grow something from each of the colour groups. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • twopenny said:
    Dusty, you've answered your own question.
    Why did they pull the research when vit c only costs pence. No profit=no sponsorship.

Toasted pumpkin seeds are delicious! But I've never got an answer to the question - does the heat destroy the vit/minerals?
    Apparently yes: https://www.nutraceuticalbusinessreview.com/news/article_page/Degradation_of_vitamins_probiotics_and_other_active_ingredients_caused_by_exposure_to_heat_water_and_sunlight/145924

10 minutes at 85-95 degrees destroys the vit c in fortified flours (so I assume other things as well). 

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that water soluble vitamins are badly damaged by cooking but fat soluble less so -  (not completely safe, but better) - so A and D in heat treated milk do relatively okay but B and C in things like spinach and broccoli degrade a lot when cooked. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,158
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Dusty, you've answered your own question.
    Why did they pull the research when vit c only costs pence. No profit=no sponsorship.
    Sponsorship was there, though. I said “despite funding being obtained.”
    I think the answer goes deeper, perhaps linked to the very small cost of meeting nutritional needs. After all, if nutritional deficiencies in elderly people could be mitigated for 10p a day, there might be no need for expensive alternatives, like 'health drinks' etc. 
    Mind you, I might prefer the Kombucha, and allegedly, “Gu*nn*ss is good for you!” :D  I don't like toasted nuts...or sit too close to the wood burner! >:)
    It was so soggy today, all I managed to do was replace a rotten hen house window and pot up a few of my very late sown wallflowers. The -4c seems to have done no harm in the polytunnel, where I buried overwintering salvias and similar tenderish things under a big heap of old fleece. :) More rain tonight, but tomorrow seems to have improved, so it could be a proper garden day after all!  o:)

“If you look at the investments that we've made in Ukraine's defence, 90 percent of the security assistance we've provided has been spent here in the United States with our manufacturers, with our production”. Anthony Blinken US Secretary of State 7th December 2023.
    Can you see what it is yet?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure