Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,184
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A clap of thunder around lunchtime, as predicted by the inebriates, but maybe just a lucky guess. I was in my Faraday cage, otherwise known as the polytunnel, so I didn't care, but apparently the cat's went AWOL. One has just emerged from wherever it goes; I think that's inside the big sofa! :D
    Must go and count my sheep. I tried to earlier, but unlike silly me, they were sheltering among the trees and there was no way I could be sure. :/ At that point, I was clearing a drainage channel. Of course, it should have been done in the good weather.......
     How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,306
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Got the washing done because no sign of rain or breeze and it bucketed down.
    Fair enough slap on the drunkards timing.
    Drove 3 miles and dry and warm with sunshine.
    Again stepped out of there at 3 and on the button it persisted down.
    Think they may have worked out how to use their new system.
    Drove back through floods and torrential rain. Half the fields are on the roads.

I did get my little tescos chrysanths in the troughs and they look good and cheery deep yellow with lime green grass.
    Saw a multi headed sunflower blooming over a fence nearby. Very cheering.
    Maybe the yellow is needed if autumn weather is like this. Plan on planting some for next year. Remind me.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Yep it was nitrogen and other stuff. The water sport man had just finished saying it always happens after a lot of rain and that he’d only closed because people didn’t have the spare pennies for luxuries now, but mr beeb rode over that. I’ll shurrup on that now cos I don’t want banning.
    I don't think you'll be banned on a weather thread for reporting what a local with local knowledge said about the effects of very wet weather in their locality. 
    However, if someone deems you're over the target far too much, they might look into your previous history and see what dirt they can dig.... ;)

It was more the 'beeb will twist any story so that it ends with "there you are that's the Climate Change box ticked'. And as for my history, well depending on a person's sense of humour they might get a good laugh outta the blunt stuff I put on some of the other boards. Or be horrified that someone dare say these things out loud. 50/50 that one. 

Posh friend wasn't utterly scathing yesterday about my garden, but I'm doing plenty wrong, apparently. Now that summer's gone I'm supposed to be putting my garden to bed instead of still buying and planting stuff :confused: And I'm not to be putting little things in pots on my patio and waiting for them to get big because the patio will be too cold for their bums and they'll probably die. The patio itself passed muster though, even if the grout is too dark for the slabs. So there's that. Oh and His Holeyness thought she was the best thing on 2 legs! You shoulda seen the state of him, twirling round her and gazing at her with soppy eyes and purring like his life depending on it, he adored her. She's a dog person too :lol: 

Well the rain didn't arrive yesterday, the drunkards were wrong and everyone else was right. I think I might start doing Majority Rulez OK now that I've got 5 apps. The temps are starting to dip overnight, it's down to 6 here now. At this rate it'll not be long 'til we're into frost territory too :grimace: I like crispy frosty weather as long as the sun's out. A good hard frost cleans the air and gives you good brussel sprouts :yum: Still nothing special in the sunrise/sunset department but the skies have been clearer in the evenings recently so maybe they're on the way...
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,306
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning Bluey :)
    Seems everyone is busy, must mean it's stopped raining somewhere.
    You do well to tollerate your neighbours critisisms. Though it's so easy to tell others what they should have done. Besides, who cares? You have a lovely patio where there was none. You have a garden you have fun in and that's the main thing.

So dry this morning, possible showers, and rain this afternoon.
    Off out if floods and debris allows to visit art studios and jobs this pm. I found more nuts on a walk last night. Loads! Haven't opened any yet. There may be nothing inside but I guess the wet kept the squirrels at bay.
    Sadly won't be gardening. Putting up steps to tie things in they will just sink. Digging out stuff will be a mess and trample down the lawn.
    Speaking of lawns I could do with Dustys sheep! From zero to hay meadow with the wet.

Must get the washing out. Did it yesterday on the promise of some dry that didn't happen. Some people gamble with money, I gamble with the weather. You use what you have :)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,004
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It absolutely tipped down yesterday afternoon, but by then I was under a blanket in a recliner chair with mini lurgy [shivering and frog in froat], a bit of medicinal banana loaf was forced down though ;)

Still no sign of the T & M pansies, maybe today now they are with Royal Mail?
    Heavy dew this morning, very nearly nipped outside to get a photo but CBA in the end
     At that point, I was clearing a drainage channel. Of course, it should have been done in the good weather.......
    Ah Ha, fix roof when sun's out would make a nice snappy slogan

Oh and His Holeyness thought she was the best thing on 2 legs! You shoulda seen the state of him, twirling round her and gazing at her with soppy eyes and purring like his life depending on it, he adored her. She's a dog person too :lol: 

Typical cat that one

Apart from maybe pansies, and maybe dew photo, nothing garden related at the moment

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Morning 2p :smile: Posh friend is the same breed as the Oracle, there’s no malice in it, she’s just very straight talking. I’m quite happy tootling along with my garden, I’m getting plenty wrong but some stuff’s going right. Next year will be better… In my case it really will be cos me and my thick skin will be further along the learning curve and making fewer/different mistakes ha haa! 

The drunkards have changed their guess to nice morning (correct) but thunderstorms and hail and all kinds of despair from 2pm. So I’ve put my final wash on. 

Maybe Morries would have been a safer bet for your plugs after all that Farway. Mind that’s not a given yet, don’t curse it :) Yep posh friend and His Holeyness were a right sight. When I say she’s a dog person I mean she’s a proper dog person. Her and her ex husband used to breed standard poodles to show, I don’t think she’s ever had a cat. *shrug*
    Good luck lurgy battling. You been kissing dirty girls again :lol: 

I need to question the Oracle about nuts, I’m wanting filberts (or anything!) now with yous all talking about them. Fingers crossed. 

Here’s my cosmo mono petals, they look a bit like angry eyes to me. They’re ever so slightly pink in real life (I know, I need to get dead heading. It’ll be this aft’s job after I’ve taken mum and dad some flowers. Been a bit slack at that recently what with all the Global Boiling and Drowning that’s been going on.)

And I spotted a pair of ladybirds on my apple tree. They didn’t care how close I got either. Obviously had very important business to discuss.  

In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,004
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

Here’s my cosmo mono petals, they look a bit like angry eyes to me.

Get well soon, Farway. No more hanging about smoking and eyeing up the talent on street corners for you! ;)

I didn't see angry eyes, I think Dusty has me, I was lower down >:)

PS Pansies arrived, potting on later

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,184
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 September 2023 at 6:37PM
    Having had a retail experience the civilian equivalent of an SAS night mission in the Congo, I'm in no fit state to compete with Farway's quips. However, I have to report a display of African marigolds and annual salvias in my not terribly local Asda, which they're attempting to retail at full price. Even allowing for the global boiling and an almost coastal location, that does seem a shade optimistic! :D

How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback