Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 12,998
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    pink_poppy said:
    This is a photo of some of the carp the previous owners left behind... please can anyone suggest something else I can try?? 

Looks like a ready-made gravel garden! - just add plants :)

You sure there's not a body buried under all that crap? 😹
    Looks like the results of riddling to me. The up-side is the absence of these stones in the areas of the garden they were removed from. :)
    OT:more boring wall-to-wall sunshine here. I'm creocoting a chicken ark, but in these safety-conscious days there's not much to inhale. Not like the time when the factory was closed and I was given a bucket of trichloroethylene to clean the machinery! :o

Ahh, the wiff of Trich, those were the days. We used to use it to clean the deck in the electrical workshop and then scarper PDQ with extractor fans on full
    I expect once we ceased scrubbing the decks with it, the Antarctic ozone hole closed up >:)

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,301
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Gone from 25 to 12 here.
    Now it's sort of sunny now with wind.

Blimey, 30 odd posts. By the time I've caught up reading it's time to do something.

Beautiful photo Dusty. Not easy. I do evenig drives to see the masses of wildflowers in the hedgerows and look towards Dartmoor  :)
    Just bits done in the garden, sorting the garage doors, watering the bugs off the trees. Seems the lovely tiny fruit trees are more susceptible as they have few leaves.

More later, fighting between going for a sunny drive and tea out and doing emails. 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,797
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I was raised with “work before pleasure”. If you’ve the heat where you are 2p, I’d stop inside and do emails and then have an evening drive when it cools off. If you can get somewhere with a west facing vista I go out for the sunset 😊

Thanks for downing tools and saving the ozone Farway and ilk, good of ya  o:)
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,178
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2023 at 5:34PM
    Aye creosote doesn’t smell as good as it used to eh :( 
    Creosote is still much the same, but I'm using Creocote, which is the 'woke' version if you get my drift. ;)  I dare say there are even fluffier sorts, labelled something like Rainbowcote or Unicornoil, but Creocote  is fine for dissuading red mites from taking up residence and biting the hens' bums at night. :)
    On October 31st, creosote is going the way of everything else that comes under the scrutiny of the folks in Brussels. But worry not, there will be something less effective and four times the price for the farmers, who have far too many naughty things already, like smelly tractors and real bacon.
    I laughed at your description of how Trike was used  in the services, Farway. We with the buckets and rags were spotty, ignorant youths who knew no better. It was only when we were doubled-up laughing like we'd had 5 pints of scrumpy, I twigged things might not be 'right' and dragged other youth into the open air. I recall we had such terrible hangovers we had the rest of the day off to recover. Today, we'd probably sue for thousands....and win!  >:)

How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,301
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hmmm i could do with some of that Taff, I also dropped a raw egg on newly washed rug.
    Think I've got thinners in the garage - but I've had my 3 today so into bed quick before that becomes more.
    Got some radish to go in. Late but may soak them first.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,178
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    -taff said:
     Prepared a small bed fr some squash with the metal mesh I got from freecycle.
    Glad someone else is still sowing squash. I'm hoping to this weekend, but there's a lot going on.
    Ride-on mower's broken. It's only done about 4 or 5 hours since a £528 service and repair. :( Pulley wheel fell off and hit blades.
    :#
    That's what I call a rose 2P. o:)
     How convenient that the elephant in the room vanishes when we change the methodology.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Oops not creosote. I've not heard of creocote but I hope it works! Poor hen's bums :(  I think the most dangerous chemical I've come across (other than whatever was going on the farm in the 80's) is probably trigiene (sp?) I worked in a food testing lab for a few years and when we cleaned down between deliveries/samples we sprayed everywhere with trigiene. Killed all known and unknown anythings dead. It was a beautiful pale pea colour and smelled of a sort of mix of pear drops and soapiness. Ah you could just drink it! You had to wear a special mask and gloves to even handle the bottle so it probably wasn't drinkable.... 

Wow that is a cracking rose 2p - an archway of that will be heaven :love: Where did you get it from? I really want one! Himself has next week off work so the decking nonsense is coming up :clapping: I fancy an arch into the garden and that would just do me rightly :)

Any hope for your mower Dusty? I'd be cross if that's all I got out of it after a service... :|

Gardening news - I really must make more effort to label stuff. It's all got very low church here cos I'm not to be spending any more money. I picked up some seeds the other day when I was in B+Q buying the still-successful squirrel proof bird feeder. I'd nothing to sow them in so I used a lid of the fence paint pots :) So despite reassuring myself I'd remember what I've planted cos there's only 2 things in there I have naturally forgotten what I planted. Pic in a min. It's either lettuces, rocket, radishes, sunflowers, or lobelia. Nothing occurring in the choc trays yet. 

OT - The cloud is getting a bit lighter here now, it's almost starting to think about maybe being sunny! :o The drunkards say it'll be 14' which, compared to what we've had, is practically bikini weather :lol: 
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Somethings - 

Also, a tiny wee blue bird has fallen out of its nest and just come under the fence! Sat there shivering and squeaking 🥺 The Holey Roamin’ Terror’s in says lovely neighbour, but he’s not the only cat round here…. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback