Problem with Santander Online Banking via Tethered Mobile 4G

Options
Hi
I'm having ongoing problems with Santander's online banking using tethered mobile 4G. I've done a bit of google searching but can't find an obvious solution. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem. The problem is more or less every time a try and logon. At various stages it just takes me back to the login page.
I don't have any problems with any other fininancial institutions sites.
Any help would be most helpful.
Thanks

Comments

• whitesmith
    whitesmith Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    do you have the ability to use the same pc connected via non-4g eg a friend's home router (to check if problem goes away)?
  • sheffieldeagle
    Options
    do you have the ability to use the same pc connected via non-4g eg a friend's home router (to check if problem goes away)?
    Thanks for the interest. I've only recently gone mobile for my internet connection and there were no problems using a landline broadband connection but I've also had very few problems using th tethered connection until fairly recently (Santander have changed there login process recently). I'm told the problem is to do with the IP address changing through the login and account use that causes the problem. What I don't understand is why is it just Santander I have a problem with?

Cheers

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your IP address is changing then you connection must has dropped. So Santander are right to send it back to the start page. Basic security.

Are you in a poor reception area? 
    Life in the slow lane
  • whitesmith
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 October 2020 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Agree with born_again - looks like the mobile connection has reset and you have a new IP which will terminate the login process. Maybe move your phone upstairs near a window and see if signal strength improves. 
  • sheffieldeagle
    Options
    Thanks guys. Is there a way to track the connection during a session? Still confused why this only happens with Santander.

Cheers
  • TraySelect
    Options
    @sheffieldeagle - I have this problem, and have had it for several weeks.
    I have registered it as an issue with Santander [10 days ago), I have a log number but - surprise - have heard nothing from them. And do not expect to, as their service is so dreadful.
    I do not have this problem with any of the myriad banks I have accounts with.
    The problem is frustrating, I cannot do banking business on the laptop because of it.
    And - or course - if I subject myself to 20 minutes+ waiting for someone at Santander to take the call to sort out something simple - the CSA is often ratty because this is something an online customer can do - with a better bank - themselves.
    I will switch from Santander because of this issue.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2020 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Just had a play.
    Tethered my laptop to my mobile and logged on to Santander with no extra security steps.  Moving around the site was fine. Switched off the hot spot so the laptop went back to my wifi and when I moved to another page it took me back to the log in screen.
    Tried the same with BOS.  They sent a OTP to my mobile, I assume due to the different ip, but when I switched off the hot spot it carried on allowing me access to other pages. After logging out and logging back in on wifi it sent a OTP again.
    Could this be some sort of anti hijacking precaution Santander are using ?
  • whitesmith
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would hope all banks log you off sharpish if they detect an IP change during the session!
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your external/public IP won’t change whilst on a tethered connection.
  • whitesmith
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 October 2020 at 7:15AM
    Options
    It can if the underlying mobile connection drops and resets. This means that although the phone remains connected to the hotspot via WiFi, from the Santander end they may see a connection reset, which seems as though it causes them to terminate the current banking session and they then require you to log on again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback