edited 27 September 2020 at 7:47PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
5 replies 264 views
GassObvGassObv Forumite
6 Posts
First Post
edited 27 September 2020 at 7:47PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi guys

ive been employed by the company for 6 years now.  In August I was announced that my job role will now be redundant.  I was due to leave the company on 14th September.  2 weeks prior to leaving I found another alternative role in the business.  I went from permanent to fixed term.  However being in my new role for 2 weeks I’ve been offered a different job in another company.  Of course the way I look at this now is that I lost my redundancy pay by 2 weeks.  I’m still training in my current job role  which of course I need to give 1 month notice for which is okay.  But I’m wondering. Could my employer (managers end my fixed term early so I can get my redundancy? Rather than me put in notice of leave ?  Because HR have told me that if I don’t get a permanent position they defer my redundancy until the fixed term end date which is September 2021.  

Also I was actually made Redundant according to HR when I called them last week Monday.  It was only until Wednesday this week that I was put back onto the system as ‘transferred into new role’ After they had to email HR so my first week into my new role I was actually down as left the company lol
Thanks in advance 


  • avawat20avawat20 Forumite
    157 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You can ask but I very much doubt that they will do it. It's going to cost them money. If you are asking because you are going to a different role in a different organisation then they know you will be resigning. You can't have it all! If you want the redundancy pay then stay, if you want the new role then resign and go to that.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Think about this, why would your employers pay you money which they aren't obliged to pay?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I’m sure you’ve already posted this. 

    Your manager could decide that your fixed term contract was no longer needed in which case you would get redundancy. I can’t see why they would do this though as there is no benefit for them and it would mean they can’t replace you. 

    You need to decide what’s more important your new job or the redundancy money. You probably can’t have both. 

  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Did you not insist on a 4 week trial for a potential suitable alternative?
  • Bungle5393Bungle5393 Forumite
    56 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    You should be entitled to a job trial if you've accepted a new role. Just say it's not for you and you would like to take the redundancy after all - you do not need to tell them you've secured a new role elsewhere.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users... pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools