PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using out of date flour

littlemoney
littlemoney Posts: 788 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 27 September 2020 at 3:52PM in Old style MoneySaving
I have 2 out of date bags of self raising flour, one with a date of October 2017 and the other with May 2019. Both purchased with good intentions of trying my hand at baking for the first time in 30 years. If the bags are insect free, will they still be good to cook with and produce good results. I don't want to use them if I am likely to get poor results as that would put me off trying again. Both bags haver been stored unopened in my dark understairs cupboard.

Comments

• White flour may be OK, but I believe the oils in wholemeal tend to go rancid. If it's self raising, might need some extra baking powder too.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    They should be fine, although as Whitefiver said, you may need to add a bit extra baking powder if it's self-raising.  Best Before dates are just advisory.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I never know what the use by dates are on my flour as I decant them into glass storage jars and they just sit in the cupboard and I don't do much baking at all so they are always there a long time, probably way past their use by date!

• It's white flour. How much extra baking powder should I add when using 2oz of flour. I want to try a microwave pudding.
  • It's white flour. How much extra baking powder should I add when using 2oz of flour. I want to try a microwave pudding.
    Self raising? then a bare 1/2 teaspoon should be enough

For such a small dish, just try it as it is. Im like Joedenise, never know what the date is as after I freeze the flour for a day or two I empty into a lock n lock container so I only know its in date if I catch myself remembering buying some already is a year when Im restocking. This year I know its in date as lockdown and not shopping as often meant I baked a bit more often :smile:

• Can I ask why do you freeze flour? Doesn't that make it damp?
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You put it in a plastic bag first so it doesn't get damp.  The reason for freezing is to kill any creatures and/or eggs that might be in the flour.

As Joedenise says, it kills flour mites

I had a bag last year that I just pushed into the cupboard having no space in the lock n locks and my whole cupboard of baking ingredients was contaminated. Since then I freeze for a couple of days and Ive never had a problem 

I had a bag last year that I just pushed into the cupboard having no space in the lock n locks and my whole cupboard of baking ingredients was contaminated. Since then I freeze for a couple of days and Ive never had a problem 
    I had better open my bags and check them. Are the mites very large and can they be easily seen or do I need to sift the flour to find them.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Can I ask why do you freeze flour? Doesn't that make it damp?

I had better open my bags and check them. Are the mites very large and can they be easily seen or do I need to sift the flour to find them.
    They can be seen, not large but you may spot the flour "moving" if you look carefully

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback