New Property! How to install WiFi

Just purchased a new property, not in touch with the owner! There is a telephone line and an old BT Broadband unit, however I have no idea of the old telephone number, or a means to check really, to give to new potential broadband suppliers. Can I simply call BT, give my home address details and ask for the tel# at the property, to then stick into a comparison site to find the cheapest supplier in my area? Apologies if these are pretty obvious questions, it’s all new to me 

Comments

• djp64
    djp64 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I had the same problem.  Used the phone in the property to call my mobile and got the number.  Called BT and asked if they were the supplier and as luck would have it they were.  Didn't take up their offer of a poor value 18 month contract with exit penalties but used the number to start a new contract with Plusnet (still have exit penalties but got a great deal via a cashback website : ) ) 
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wifi install or internet service ??
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 September 2020 at 4:51PM
    Dial 17070 and if it is a live telephone line it will have an option to tell you the number.

Most likely the previous owner has cancelled the service, or is about to. In which case you may be charged £60 to reconnect to the line, or not it seems pot luck sometimes.

You could try and turn on the router and see if it still connects to the internet. Wifi pas
    sword is probably on the back. Its possible it hasn't been cancelled/transferred yet.

BT address checker will check for you address rather than a phone number.
    https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

If the phone line is disconnected (may still have a dial tone) then most providers will take an order with just your address for people with turned off phone lines.

Good luck
  • mnbvcxz said:
    Dial 17070 and if it is a live telephone line it will have an option to tell you the number.

Most likely the previous owner has cancelled the service, or is about to. In which case you may be charged £60 to reconnect to the line, or not it seems pot luck sometimes.

You could try and turn on the router and see if it still connects to the internet. Wifi pas
    sword is probably on the back. Its possible it hasn't been cancelled/transferred yet.

BT address checker will check for you address rather than a phone number.
    https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

If the phone line is disconnected (may still have a dial tone) then most providers will take an order with just your address for people with turned off phone lines.

Good luck

I don’t think the previous owner will have cancelled the service / line, at the same time I have not got the tel#, nor do I even have a landline to check it actually.
  • The broadband checker tells me this, however I’ll still need a telephone number to take to and compare from new providers, right? Again, sorry if these are obvious questions with obvious answers.

• mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don’t think the previous owner will have cancelled the service / line, at the same time I have not got the tel#, nor do I even have a landline to check it actually.
    Do you mean you don't have a landline telephone or you don't have access to your new property yet?

The phone line only stays active so long as someone is paying for it so if the previous person has left he may well have cancelled the service or transferred it to their new property. It might still be going for a bit though.

If you wish to find out the telephone number without physical access to the house and a telephone or contacting the previous owner then I think you are stuck. Unless the previous owner is listed in the telephone book or somewhere?

That said you don't really need to know the number to sign up with a new provider. Your dsl check shows you can get excellent internet so lucky you. Any comparison site like broadbandchoices will use your post code not telephone number. When you actually sign up many providers will let you chose the address and say you don't know the phone number and are happy to be given a new one. It is not an uncommon situation and should work. Just try not to get stung for a new line if its not necessary (it might be but also don't want to if not needed).

Choosing a provider look at the moneysavingexpert page for deals, comparison sites for special deals, quidco and topcashback for possible cashback. Its a jungle out there....

Best of luck.

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2020 at 10:32AM
    You don’t need to know the telephone number at the property ( assuming there is one ) , chose whatever provider you want to use , by whatever method ( comparison site, your own research ) and order what you want .
    If there is already a working service recorded at the property then your new provider has to in effect wait a little while , so a letter can be sent to the address , saying you want to take over the line and if that’s an error to call , obviously if no one lives there the letter goes unanswered and it’s assumed your order is OK , so, once you have picked a provider and ordered , it will be at least 10-14 days before the service ‘starts’.
    If there is no recorded working service then they don’t have to sent the letter but potentially it may need an engineer visit to get the line working,  so the date depends on OR’s order book and may cost a little more depending on who you give your business to.
    Some company’s change for an engineer install, some don’t , this should be made clear to you when you order.
    FWIW , if you did know the number it wouldn’t really help, even if you used the same provider as the previous occupant if they hadn’t advised that company that they were leaving the property , comparison sites that ask for the number are catering for people who are not moving house, just looking for a better deal with someone else, they should have a section for new customers , and use the address to give prices.
  • Yes have had access to the property for 6 months. There is a telephone line, I just don't have a landline to test if there is a number and the line is active, I assume so. The previous owner used it for broadband only. Always assumed I needed a tel # to take to a broadband provider for comparison. The previous owner won’t have taken any number with them I know that, but at the same time I hope they haven’t disconnected the line as that sounds like it’s a whole new process to get it reinstated? How can I tell if it’s been disconnected? Apologies if these are basic questions, just trying to do this as easy and cost effectively as possible. Appreciate all the advice so far
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Borrow a telephone or buy a cheap telephone to plug into the phone socket.  If the line is active you will hear a dial tone.  If there is a dial tone dial your mobile phone number.  If it works and your mobile rings you will see the number.  No need to pick answer the call on the mobile, when it rings hang up so no charge.
    You don't need a phone number for a comparison.
  • wongataa said:
    Borrow a telephone or buy a cheap telephone to plug into the phone socket.  If the line is active you will hear a dial tone.  If there is a dial tone dial your mobile phone number.  If it works and your mobile rings you will see the number.  No need to pick answer the call on the mobile, when it rings hang up so no charge.
    You don't need a phone number for a comparison.
    No charge? Whom would the charge be to anyway... I’ve registered no details with BT! So I do need a telephone number to set up WiFi, or at least compare providers in terms of what’s available? Borrowing a landline tonight so should be able to test.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback