Border Force Stopped Package

Options
Advice Please
We been going Dubai twice a year since 2003 and have a friend who worked in a jewellers there, he also visits us in the UK. Due to family he has moved back to Sri Lanka and opened a jewellers there.
It is our 25th anniversary next month, so when we last saw him at the beginning of the year, my husband arranged with him to upgrade the diamond in my engagement ring from a 1ct to a 2ct, we would just pay for the price difference in diamond he’d fit it free of charge. We passed him my ring. Then Covid happened.
Initially everything was in lockdown so couldn’t do anything but now cannot source the diamond in the right price frame and as we waited 6 months already and we want me to have my ring for our anniversary. We agreed to simply return it as is, 
As our friend feels bad he said he’d polish it all up for us free of charge.
did this and posted back to our business address so there to sign for it and stated gift as it’s my ring he has polished free but customs have sent us a Notice of Arrivals of Goods by post with 4 pages to fill out. We’ve replied a week ago stating the above but they were asking for invoice etc but 25 years on I haven’t proof of purchase. I’ve not heard since and don’t want to pay tax customs on a ring probably now worth £5k that I’ve had for 25 yrs.
any ideas what will happen and how long they will hold it. We are devastated I’ve not had my ring for 6 months, did not get the improved version and now without it possibly forever or at least our anniversary.

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the ring has been insured at any point those documents may be acceptable as proof you'd already owned the ring with it's old diamond, likewise any good photos showing it (and you/your wife).
    I hope you get it sorted.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you any correspondence between you and your friend which discusses the plan for the ring which will back up your claim that it's your own ring?   Maybe a photograph previously taken for contents insurance purposes that you could send them?
  • Sezzle1974
    Options
    Thanks both.
    They have now asked for copy of an insurance policy where my ring was covered but as it’s 25 years old and wasn’t that expensive back then we’ve never covered it separately.
    or photos with me wearing it with a date, I’m looking through so many pics and those with dates none are close up or clear I could be wearing any ring really you can just about see it is a square stone.

As was our friend we spoke on phone nothing formal but he did put in writing confirming what happened on company letter head with a company stamp but as that is retrospective it’s been deemed no good. 

I guess after 25 years I’ve lost my ring so gutted as didn’t want a whole new one as sentimental hence upgrade of diamond instead. Ended up with nothing losing my beloved ring. Guess they just keep it.
  • LadyDee
    Options
    Have they valued the ring?  If so, then you could choose to pay the charges they claim are due and get your ring back.  You don't have to lose the ring, it will just mean £s to recover it unfortunately.  
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The photos don't need to be 25 years old, just it'd be helpful to show ownership over some time... probability is that more recent photos will be easier to see the item in anyway.

Plus why would you lose it? Absolute worst case is you pay the import costs.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2020 at 2:45PM
    Options
    I wonder if writing out a statutory declaration of the history of the ring and getting it witnessed by a solicitor would be acceptable to Border Force?
    https://www.boysandmaughan.co.uk/site/library/privateclient/statutory_declaration_solicitor.html#:~:text=A statutory declaration is a,for oaths or notary public.

Statutory declarations are generally used to satisfy a legal requirement or regulation when no other such evidence is available.

Examples of how statutory declarations are used:

• Affirming the provenance and nature of goods for export or import
    I know that the website above is only a random one I found on the internet but it may well be worth the OP contacting a local solicitor or even the one from the link to ask their advice.
  • Day_Of_The_Doris
    Options
    This will be the biggest stumbling block:
    Sezzle1974 said:
    As our friend feels bad he said he’d polish it all up for us free of charge.
    did this and posted back to our business address so there to sign for it and stated gift as it’s my ring 
    By declaring it as a gift, this has ensured that import duties and VAT will be liable on the ring's value above £39.
    Your best option may well to try the statutory declaration process mentioned above and it may also help if you can get your friend to do another statutory declaration (or something similar in Sri Lanka) and send you a copy of this and submit it along with your declaration to Border Force UK.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2020 at 6:35AM
    Options
    Did any of the arrangements for the ring get recorded in text/email form? Together with pictures, I'd suspect that would prove the ring wasn't brand new.  That's all you have to prove.  Look at photos taken in the last few years (digital hopefully) and see if the ring on your finger section can be enlarged so it can be identified as the ring HM Customs have.  Even vaguely. As customs have the ring, any photo showing the ring in your possession will be proof its not actually a new ring.
  • Sezzle1974
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Customs came back again and asked for phone bill showing us speaking to our friend though can’t see how that would be evidence ring was always mine but we didn’t have itemised bills anyway. Then found WhatsApp messages from August 2019 where I say about upgrading my diamond for our anniversary and friend replying yes can do upgrade centre diamond. Also had messages throughout this July and August inbetween calls with me chasing what was happening and friend apologising and saying could not get diamond right up to week before ring posted back.
    Sent all to customs thinking finally evidence but she’s come back now and said accepts I did not get the diamond but still does not prove ring sent back is mine.  Strange as who’s is it then.
    Finally found a dated picture from December wearing the ring, clearly see it’s a princess diamond. Sent that today so waiting to hear but not feeling confident as every time we seem to provide what is asked she says not good enough and ask for something else.
  • LadyDee
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Customs came back again and asked for phone bill showing us speaking to our friend though can’t see how that would be evidence ring was always mine but we didn’t have itemised bills anyway. Then found WhatsApp messages from August 2019 where I say about upgrading my diamond for our anniversary and friend replying yes can do upgrade centre diamond. Also had messages throughout this July and August inbetween calls with me chasing what was happening and friend apologising and saying could not get diamond right up to week before ring posted back.
    Sent all to customs thinking finally evidence but she’s come back now and said accepts I did not get the diamond but still does not prove ring sent back is mine.  Strange as who’s is it then.
    Finally found a dated picture from December wearing the ring, clearly see it’s a princess diamond. Sent that today so waiting to hear but not feeling confident as every time we seem to provide what is asked she says not good enough and ask for something else.
    Are you talking to somebody in authority?  A supervisor or manager?  If not, ask for your problem to be escalated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback