Letter from Moorcroft on behalf of HMRC

Hi there, unsure if this is in the right category. Today my husband received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery saying he owes £380 to the HMRC. He works full time and received his letter back in April with his new tax code and never received anything after saying he was due any sum of money to them. Even if he missed the letter as he works full time I don’t understand why they wouldn’t adjust his tax code as the have done with myself in the past when I’ve paid too little. We are very unsure where this debt has come and have no form of outstanding debt aside from our mortgage so are unsure what to do now. Do we contact HMRC or do we simply ignore and they will go away? I have read a few of the forums on here saying to send a letter asking for proof of the debt and that usually closes your account with them, is this the case? 

Thank you for any help or advice. 


  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Contact Moorcroft and ask them what it relates to
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 September 2020 at 1:11PM
    Moorcroft is certainly a company that HMRC use:


    Without knowing the history of your husbands tax affairs its difficult to work out why they just didnt adjust his tax code.

    Has he ever been self employed?
    Has he even been declared bankrupt?
    Has he ever received taxable benefits like a company car?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Send the provit letter to Moorcroft, alternativly give HMRC a ring and ask them, do not ignore it, a Government debt will not just go away.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 September 2020 at 11:47AM
    As another has suggested, HMRC normally recover the underpaid tax by adjusting the tax code, so seems odd. I suggest he contacts Moorcroft., could even be an error on the part of HMRC.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It isn't unknown for them to pass debts on that have already been paid so check carefully.
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 September 2020 at 2:37PM
    erincxox said:
    Even if he missed the letter as he works full time I don’t understand why they wouldn’t adjust his tax code as the have done with myself in the past when I’ve paid too little.
    He could have been sent a letter telling him he had to complete a self assessment which he ignored because he's on PAYE. Even if you're on PAYE, if you're sent one of those letters you have to complete one. Failure to complete one even if you're on PAYE carries the same penalties for late and non-submission as it does for the self employed. Chances are it was because of that. Those penalties are generally not recouped via your tax code without prior arrangement.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 September 2020 at 6:07PM
    My wife received a demand from HMRC for £3300 not long ago. After long waits in the phone, this was reduced to £4 which she duly paid. The thing is, this was done on the simple tax assessment. She was told to pay before January 31st and the letter stated that the amount could not be collected by an adjustment in her tax code.

    She has never filled out a self assessment form and is taxed through PAYE.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • oxroxx
    oxroxx Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Lots of guys at my employer were caught out by HICBC.
    Do you receive Child Benefit and earn over £50,000?
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards