ISP and slow speeds I Don't know What To Do Now

Options
I'm currently with Plusnet High Speed Broadband, Line rental and phone, and until April last year I was getting 30+ mbps. I asked to upgrade so that phone calls to mobiles would be included. That request completely threw their system into chaos and they haven't been able to bill me since then, despite frequent requests. They have promised to only charge me for the last 90 days after they sort things out. After yet another request in Jan this year, to sort out the problem, my broadband has got progressively slower, dropping from 30+ mbps to the 3 to 7 mbps I experience most of the time now, occasionally dropping out.. Openreach have checked the line and also the box in the house and after a phone call from their engineer to Plusnet, it appears that Plusnet issued an order to take me off fibre and onto copper line. Plusnet promised to rectify this and now tell me that I could get 60+ mbps, even though all the speed checkers I have tried online, all show a download speed of between 2 and 7 mbps most of the time.  Plusnet want to me to open a new account, but who is telling the truth here? Plusnet, or the various speed checkers. I also looked at switching to BT and they also say that only a low download speed is available.  After many years of getting reasonably fast download speeds, I don't want to sign up to anyone who cannot provide those speeds again. I've tried  buying a new router, new cable and new ADSL filter, but Plusnet still insist I'm getting high speed fibre and everything else says I'm not.  Any advice on what I can or should do next, or what can be wrong would be great.   Thanks.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like your Plusnet VDSL connection has been given away to somebody else when they put you onto ADSL.

If you check here:
    https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
    does it say if VDSL is available or waiting?

If it says available, then they should be able to reconnect your VDSL.  The fact that BT can not offer VDSL either is a bit worrying.

• Border_Reiver2
    Options
    Mister_G said:
    It looks like your Plusnet VDSL connection has been given away to somebody else when they put you onto ADSL.

If you check here:

If it says available, then they should be able to reconnect your VDSL.  The fact that BT can not offer VDSL either is a bit worrying.

Thanks very much for the info, it says that there's a waiting list for VDSL, but it's available. I have to say that I'm very annoyed that someone made the decision to drop my broadband speed without even mentioning it. I have had high speed for at least 12 years. And now Plusnet have the nerve to try and get me to sign a new contract. I suppose I can try and demand that they reconnect me.  Thanks Again
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mister_G said:

If you check here:

I suppose I can try and demand that they reconnect me.  Thanks Again
    Unfortunately nobody will be able to reconnect you to "high speed" fibre if there is a waiting list for ports on your local cab. however much fuss you make. I'd go for compensation from PN for the co*k up - free b/band until fibre comes available again ??
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If PN did it without your consent then comp is def in order. Hope you didn't accidentally agree to it.
  • Border_Reiver2
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions folks, but PN are really starting to hack me off. I've tried everything possible that they wanted done and still I get low download speeds of between 4 and 12 mbps (figures given from various websites like Which, BT, Fast etc.  PN say that according to their own "GEA tests performed with BBEU" on my line, I should be getting over 60 mbps. I've asked a number of times who made the decision to downgrade my line from VDSL to ADSL and they keep dodging the question. Now they want me to agree to have everything checked again by yet another engineer, and pay £65 for the privilege. In the meantime, I've registered an interest with BT and they will inform me should a high speed line become available. They estimate that at present they can only give me 4 to 6 mbps which is nowhere near acceptable considering a few months back I was getting in the mid 30's mbps and PN guaranteed me at least 45.8 in my contract.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions folks, but PN are really starting to hack me off. I've tried everything possible that they wanted done and still I get low download speeds of between 4 and 12 mbps (figures given from various websites like Which, BT, Fast etc.  PN say that according to their own "GEA tests performed with BBEU" on my line, I should be getting over 60 mbps. I've asked a number of times who made the decision to downgrade my line from VDSL to ADSL and they keep dodging the question. Now they want me to agree to have everything checked again by yet another engineer, and pay £65 for the privilege. In the meantime, I've registered an interest with BT and they will inform me should a high speed line become available. They estimate that at present they can only give me 4 to 6 mbps which is nowhere near acceptable considering a few months back I was getting in the mid 30's mbps and PN guaranteed me at least 45.8 in my contract.
    I'm confused ! Are PN still saying that you are on a fibre connection ,when you clearly aren't? 
  • anonymous12124
    Options
    Have you tried Virgin? Honestly for consistent and crazy speeds nothing comes close to Virgin. I have had 2 issues with Virgin in the 10+ years I've been with them. Every single time I run a test I get faster download speeds than what I am paying for.

You should not have to pay for bad speeds and engineers. I assume you get that speed with Ethernet connection and it's worse with Wireless?

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm confused ! Are PN still saying that you are on a fibre connection ,when you clearly aren't? 
    There's a difference between testing what a line is capable of and what the line's actually configured to do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback