Campsite near London

Can anybody recommend a good campsite that is in walking distance from a tube or overground into central London?  

Thanks for any suggestions. 
«1

Comments

  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Don't think any exist, if you are willing to get a bus to a station then there are a few options.

    There is a site near Abbey Wood Station thats run by the Caravan Club but its a National Rail station rather than Overground or Underground.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There are a number of camp sites around Epping Forest which is just to the East of London accessible to public transport just Google for details.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Lee Valley (http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/where-to-stay-and-short-breaks/camping-caravan/) is less than 45 minutes by Overground from Edmonton to Liverpool Street station.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Thank you all
  • Abbey Wood looks good, but I will need to look into the rules for the low emission zone. 
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Crystal palace has one , about 20 minutes to London Victoria or London bridge stations from crystal palace train station ( just down the road ) 
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Aranyani said:
    Abbey Wood looks good, but I will need to look into the rules for the low emission zone. 
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected?intcmp=2266

    So a diesel  campervan over 2.5 tonnes are impacted, assuming you are meaning the LEZ which covers most of London rather than the ULEZ in the central most part of London
  • Browntoa said:
    Crystal palace has one , about 20 minutes to London Victoria or London bridge stations from crystal palace train station ( just down the road ) 
    Thanks, but its closes too soon to be of use sadly. 
  • Sandtree said:
    Aranyani said:
    Abbey Wood looks good, but I will need to look into the rules for the low emission zone. 


    So a diesel  campervan over 2.5 tonnes are impacted, assuming you are meaning the LEZ which covers most of London rather than the ULEZ in the central most part of London
    Looks like it would cost £100 a day to drive my camper van to Abbey Wood campsite, that's a shame. 
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Aranyani said:
    Sandtree said:
    Aranyani said:
    Abbey Wood looks good, but I will need to look into the rules for the low emission zone. 


    So a diesel  campervan over 2.5 tonnes are impacted, assuming you are meaning the LEZ which covers most of London rather than the ULEZ in the central most part of London
    Looks like it would cost £100 a day to drive my camper van to Abbey Wood campsite, that's a shame. 
    Then you are talking the LEZ which covers almost all of the inside of the M25 other than the furthest northern and south western corners. My understanding is you only pay on the days you drive it so if you drive in day 1, park it for the week and not move it, and then leave at the end of the stay then you have just 2 days LEZ fee to pay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards