Car hire costs increased to what I agreed

As recommended by Martin Lewis I got the best deal through Skyscanner for my car hire in Poland. A company called Discover Cars (Car rental provider Panek). I paid them £63.63 deposit as requested and then asked to pay the remaining £176.79 on arrival. I was charged £201.29 when collecting from the Panek desk in Poland. I queried this but was told if I had a problem I would need to speak to Discover Cars. I contacted Discover Cars who have now contacted Panek for an explanation. They said Panek charge a bank commission and that is the reason for the price difference. I paid with a the best Barclaycard Credit Card to avoid any overseas transaction fees etc. Discover Cars have offered me a £25 credit voucher as compensation. Surely I should be entitled to my money back?

Comments

• Open a dispute with Barclaycard. They will give you the difference back if they agree that you have been cheated.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What exactly was charged on your card? Presumably, Panek as a Polish company operating in Poland charge in Polish Zloty (PLN). Often the websites will give a final balance indication in GBP (£176.79) for your convenience,  however the actual amount will be in local currency, and this will be detailed in the contract. 

My guess is one of two things:

1) Final balance was an amount in Zloty (PLN). At the time of booking that amount was around £176. However by the time you hired the car the exchange rates had moved against you and the amount was £200. When did you book?

2) Final amount was in Zloty, but Panek have applied dynamic currency conversion and charged you in GBP, but at a marked up rate in their favour.

Could be a combination of both. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure