We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Virgin Media roadworks will affect my working from home
pape03
Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi all,
I work in IT. I used to work one day a week from home, now because of covid-19 it is temporarily five days a week as our office is not really covid secure.
Virgin Media started to do roadworks in my area, they are only at the beginning of the street now, but they will dig right in front of our property. The noise will definitely affect my work, as sometimes it requires loads of concentration. I am not sure what can I do. Shall I just raise a complaint to them, when they are at our street? Will they do anything with it? Can I get compensated for this kind of a situation?
Cheers,
Steve
I work in IT. I used to work one day a week from home, now because of covid-19 it is temporarily five days a week as our office is not really covid secure.
Virgin Media started to do roadworks in my area, they are only at the beginning of the street now, but they will dig right in front of our property. The noise will definitely affect my work, as sometimes it requires loads of concentration. I am not sure what can I do. Shall I just raise a complaint to them, when they are at our street? Will they do anything with it? Can I get compensated for this kind of a situation?
Cheers,
Steve
0
Comments
-
I highly doubt it, best advice you'll get is either work at the rear of the house with the windows closed or buy some noise cancelling headphones.0
-
Assuming that you are NOT paying for a business broadband connection ,than no ISP/CONTRACTOR would compensate you for downtime.1
-
Neither will any contractor that digs up your road and makes a bit of noise .If its a VM cable laying its not really noisy for hours and days on end .OP your insurance may cover you as you have notified them you are working from home on your house insurance .Alternative ask your employer to pay for accommodation .0
-
Compensation? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha1
-
That's not relevant to the OP's question. We have no idea whether VM is the OP's ISP. The OP is asking about entitlement to compensation for noise pollution caused by a contractor's activities.brewerdave said:Assuming that you are NOT paying for a business broadband connection0 -
VM is not our provider. I really hope their work will not cause any downtimebrewerdave said:Assuming that you are NOT paying for a business broadband connection ,than no ISP/CONTRACTOR would compensate you for downtime.
Well, it's started on Monday, and getting noisier and closer every day. It's about 4-5 hours a day, when they "actually" work.JJ_Egan said:Neither will any contractor that digs up your road and makes a bit of noise .If its a VM cable laying its not really noisy for hours and days on end .OP your insurance may cover you as you have notified them you are working from home on your house insurance .Alternative ask your employer to pay for accommodation .
I'm pretty sure this is not covered in my home insurance.0 -
When do you expect them to do the work??0
-
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards