We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Aiming for Mortgage Free!

Options

Comments

• QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Babies are adorable... when you get to give them back LOL. 
    😂 made me laugh. My parents were round today and my mum handed back DD like a hot potato as soon as there was crying.
    2024 decluttering: 12,371 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅🏅⭐️⭐️🏅👑💎⭐️
    May/June mini clothes declutter challenge: 213/200
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    QueenJess said:
    😂 made me laugh. My parents were round today and my mum handed back DD like a hot potato as soon as there was crying.
    Gotta be done... that and when there's a whiff.
    My sister has 3 kids aged something like 2-7 - I just can't imagine living with all that noise and movement and sensory overload... My kids had a 5 year gap and I stopped at 2....
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 235 payments to go - now £182,428 Equity 27.02%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £7.4K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.1K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.1K
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options

Went to my new office for the first time this week which was very odd...not been in central London in forever. Nice space and well located, far too many tasty food and coffee places around though so am going to need to be disciplined with bringing my lunch!!
    Have a look at TOO GOOD TO GO app when you are central - so many places doing offers on it every day
    I have the app but totally didn't think about using it at lunch times and on way home, will check that out! Thanks!
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!
    OP Goal 2022 = 3.75% in OPs: £6,975 / £13,200
    Emergency Fund Target: 3 months saved ✅

• rugbymadfamily
    Options
    QueenJess said:
    Gotta be done... that and when there's a whiff.
    My sister has 3 kids aged something like 2-7 - I just can't imagine living with all that noise and movement and sensory overload... My kids had a 5 year gap and I stopped at 2....
    Haha yes I enjoyed the cuddles but definitely handing back works for me at the moment 😂
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!

• rugbymadfamily
    Options
    It's been an absolutely mental few weeks in terms of money. My husband aunt died a few months ago but turns out she left us £20k which is just so incredibly generous and unexpected. As you can imagine there have been a LOT of discussions around what to do with it. We've settled on splitting it into 3 parts, a third for the house (think will be to do the kitchen as we were starting to save to do this ourselves), a third for investing (think will put into our S&S ISAs and the final third for fun (possibly to buy a bunch of camping gear, some kayaks and put the rest away for some holidays and other fun stuff over the next few years). I was initially keen to put all of it to mortgage OPs but my husband is keen to live a bit with it and I think we have reached a good compromise....well one I can live with anyway!

We've also been on holiday (came in on budget!), but NSDs have gone out the window entirely with much husband at home during the summer hols but he's back at school now so hopefully we will get back to a routine.

Also won £75 on PBs last month which was the first time ever so very pleased with that! Am currently storing my mortgage OP amounts in PBs to pay off at a later date. Basically I calculated that if my projected OPs win more than £200 in 12 months then that's more than the interest I would have saved in that period. Have won £75 to date, so hopefully it was a good decision! Will know by the end of the year!

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    good decisions all round

it always nice to have some options, and PB's do that.  At 1% gross return (there or thereabouts) most interest rates are a little over that, so on balance/average you will probably be marginally worse off.  but with a win of £75 already you won't be far off at all, and I would regard £50 annual for options and the chance of a big prize as a good deal.  building a (small) mortgage neutral pot allocated but not committed  
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options
    Yeah I agree, feels like the money is still doing some work and then I can make an OP to the bank at the right time. Worst case scenario was that we won nothing and so will have paid £200 extra interest but seemed worth the risk and us paying off already.

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How lovely to have an unexpected inheritance. Enjoy it. Sounds like you are an active family. Kayaking makes for positive memories
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 235 payments to go - now £182,428 Equity 27.02%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £13.45K
    3) CC £7.4K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.1K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
    6) SIPP £4.1K
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    How lovely to have an unexpected inheritance and to be able to buy things you can remember your HA by. You can always look at the kitchen when it's done and know she helped pay for that.

On TGTGo app you can also check the night before as well as they often do magic bags for breakfast and end of work day at most the coffee shops eg Starbucks and lunch places.

I also have just stuck some of my savings into PB as figure easy access and 1 % is better than most savings.  Plus I am a comper so.. 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options
    Very much unexpected so definitely appreciated. Like the thought of being able to be thankful for the kitchen each day 😊

My husbands brother has decided to use his to buy a brand new car 😩 just seems such a waste to me, he already has a car he bought brand new 18months ago on finance and the money apparently "isn't enough" to fully pay for the new one so he will finance the difference. Makes no sense to me, but drives me mad cos then he starts taking the !!!!!! out of what my husband is planning to spend it on and telling him we should get a new car as ours is apparently "crap" (it's not, its 3 years old but is an unfashionable brand but runs like a dream and suits our lifestyle!). Argghhhh. Must remind myself to breathe. And not judge. It's his money to do what he wants with....but what a waste!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport