Polishing Headlights

RomfordNavy
RomfordNavy Posts: 683 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 31 August 2020 at 8:10PM in Motoring
Has anyone tried polishing out the mist on their headlights, what buffing compound did you use, do I need something special or just a plain rotory polishing mop?

Comments

• MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Yes it works. The best guide I found was from ChrisFix on Youtube. If it's really bad you'll need some sand paper and cutting compound, polish and clear laquer spray if you want it to last more than a few months. If it's only just starting then you can do it with some cutting compound and a mop.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM
    Alternatively there may be someone local who does it, one of the car washes in a town near me does it for £45.
  • I assume your talking about the 'misting' on the outside of the lens? and is it glass or plastic?
  • clive0510
    clive0510 Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    don't polish and compound it! maybe other poster was joking. headlight lens on modern cars are mostly abs plastic. they do mist up but the heat of the bulb clears it.
  • I assume your talking about the 'misting' on the outside of the lens? and is it glass or plastic?
    I assume plastic otherwise I don't think it would hace gone misty.

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Most modern car headlights (since mid 90s) are actually made of polycarbonate. Over time road grime and uv damage causes them to discolour and go misty. Eventually they will fail the mot. 

I have restored several sets over the years. The method I now use is to start wet sanding with 240 grit to remove the oxidation and any scratches. At this stage they go more cloudy and opaque. Then I progressively work up from 240 through 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 and finally 3000. I then use a ultra fine cutting compound on a drill powered buffing pad. Finally seal the light with a good quality clear wax. Reapply the wax every month to keep them clear.

Process takes an hour per headlight and the only time I use any power tool is the final duffing stage. It is easier with the headlight out of the car. 
  • Glass can go misty or hazy, foggy call it what you will, the only reason I asked that question is because It's extremely difficult to get any of those issues out of glass and is in fact a fine art called 'glass polishing' It can only be done by experts using Cerium oxide and a combination of buffing wheels, plastic I have very little experience of and so couldn't comment how to get 'misting' out of that.  
  • clive0510
    clive0510 Posts: 812 Forumite
    angrycrow said:
    Most modern car headlights (since mid 90s) are actually made of polycarbonate. Over time road grime and uv damage causes them to discolour and go misty. Eventually they will fail the mot. 

I have restored several sets over the years. The method I now use is to start wet sanding with 240 grit to remove the oxidation and any scratches. At this stage they go more cloudy and opaque. Then I progressively work up from 240 through 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 and finally 3000. I then use a ultra fine cutting compound on a drill powered buffing pad. Finally seal the light with a good quality clear wax. Reapply the wax every month to keep them clear.

Process takes an hour per headlight and the only time I use any power tool is the final duffing stage. It is easier with the headlight out of the car. 
    uhm ok. you sure about that?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    It's worked on all the sets I have restored including the set in my current car that were so clouded when I got it you could barely see the beam pattern at night and now they are like new lenses with no further deterioration in the two years since I repaired them. 
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    clive0510 said:
    don't polish and compound it! maybe other poster was joking. headlight lens on modern cars are mostly abs plastic. they do mist up but the heat of the bulb clears it.
    I think the term 'misting' by the OP refers to the discolouration of the plastic lens, rather than condensation inside the headlamps
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
     Yes it's like a rough crazing on the outside of the lens. The idea is to polish this top layer of plastic  away to get to the smooth clear plastic underneath.

My wife's car is parked half in the sun and half in the shade; the lamp that's usually in the sun is starting to go. My daughter's Fiat Punto has it really bad in both headlamps - it's an advisory on the MOT every year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback