Do all washing machines leak through the front door if loaded incorrectly?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Check the seal and the door very carefully.  Our washing machine developed a slight leak from the door and initially I couldn't see anything wrong with the seal which might be the cause.  On closer inspection inspection I found a small piece of plastic bag stuck to the door where it meets the seal.  Removed that and no leak.
  • Thanks @TELLIT01, I am going to have a good look tonight.

• Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Zanussi washing machine - 18 years old - no leaks so far.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 September 2020 at 12:46PM
    DocQuincy said:
    We got a “new” (ex-display unused) washer-dryer. I noticed a small amount of water leaking from front door during use. It was going full pelt and the door, while definitely locked, was moving in-and-out.
    I Googled it and it seems that overloading and adding too much detergent are common culprits for this but aren't the doors completely watertight? We had put too much detergent in in this instance but how does this cause a leak if the door is watertight. Anyway, we did a couple more washes with the correct detergent and they were fine but it happened again today. The drum was about 75%-80% full. Could this have caused it?
    It was a small amount of water, but still, I am concerned about this being a new machine and wondered if this is normal or should I contact the supplier as it is still well under warranty. I think I will contact them anyway but am just trying to learn a bit about it before I do so.
    Our previous washing machine was a workhorse and we almost certainly loaded that incorrectly at times and never had a single problem with it and we got this one as it is the same make.
    Thanks.
    P.S. While we're on the subject of washing machines, does the rubber hose that supplies the water and the plastic hose that drains the water need replacing at given intervals?
    Leaking is abnormal and is indicative of a faulty seal
    We have never had a leak in the front seal or replaced our pipes in 5 years but it is a Miele
    It will do no harm to replace the input as a cheap one may start leaking after a few years
    I would not bother with the waste as it is not under pressure
    For Miele prices I would expect a lifetime guarantee.
    Depends on what you want.
    I wanted the best washing machine and ours has been very heavily used and is actually 6 1/2 years old
    Only issue was drive belt stretched and jumped off a few months ago
    Cheapest is less than £600
    Really quiet and smooth
    I do not worry about leaving on if i go out

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    UncleZen said:
    Recently bought a bosch washer within a week, it was leaking! Guy came out  and said the big rubber seal was not fitted correctly, he replaced it, all good.....then it started leaking again. Turns out, on that occasion there was a sock trapped in the door seal. Moral? Load the machine properly!
    Didn't you notice the Guy walking out of your house wearing only one sock!
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    DocQuincy said:
    We got a “new” (ex-display unused) washer-dryer. I noticed a small amount of water leaking from front door during use. It was going full pelt and the door, while definitely locked, was moving in-and-out.
    I Googled it and it seems that overloading and adding too much detergent are common culprits for this but aren't the doors completely watertight? We had put too much detergent in in this instance but how does this cause a leak if the door is watertight. Anyway, we did a couple more washes with the correct detergent and they were fine but it happened again today. The drum was about 75%-80% full. Could this have caused it?
    It was a small amount of water, but still, I am concerned about this being a new machine and wondered if this is normal or should I contact the supplier as it is still well under warranty. I think I will contact them anyway but am just trying to learn a bit about it before I do so.
    Our previous washing machine was a workhorse and we almost certainly loaded that incorrectly at times and never had a single problem with it and we got this one as it is the same make.
    Thanks.
    P.S. While we're on the subject of washing machines, does the rubber hose that supplies the water and the plastic hose that drains the water need replacing at given intervals?
    Leaking is abnormal and is indicative of a faulty seal
    We have never had a leak in the front seal or replaced our pipes in 5 years but it is a Miele
    It will do no harm to replace the input as a cheap one may start leaking after a few years
    I would not bother with the waste as it is not under pressure
    For Miele prices I would expect a lifetime guarantee.
    Depends on what you want.
    I wanted the best washing machine and ours has been very heavily used and is actually 6 1/2 years old
    Only issue was drive belt stretched and jumped off a few months ago
    Cheapest is less than £600
    Really quiet and smooth
    I do not worry about leaving on if i go out

We thought we were going to have to buy a replacement for our 3 year old Beko washer dryer the other week and looked into the Miele washer dryers. The cheapest that was suitable for us was £1599. We were disappointed to see that this only included a 2 year warranty where as the Samsung models at about £800 offered a 5 year warranty.

As it happens we managed to sort out our Beko and it is working good as new again. It had a blockage in the pump, followed immediately by a blockage in the drain pipe, followed by another blockage in the pump. Three times in three uses and wet clothes hanging up everywhere and of course the drain down is useless so you end up with water all over the kitchen floor!

Our own fault for not checking our pockets before putting jeans in the machine of course.

Oh and we never worry if we leave our machine on when we go out. Does anyone?
  • I had a good look at the seal last and couldn't spot anything. There was the end of a zip cord stuck in there but not sure if that would make a difference.
    It drips from the bottom in the centre but because the door covers where the water would actually escape from it could be from anywhere and is just running down so that's not much help. The fact it has only done it on higher loads (though not overloaded) makes me think there must be something higher up and it's only when the volume of clothes pushes the water up to a certain height. Either way, I couldn't see anything other than a sort of stringy bit of rubber on the right. It looks like a bit of excess material where it was sealed. @floppydisk1 said “there might be some tiny cut or kink in it” but I am not sure this would be significant enough to cause the issue.
    @floppydisk1 also said the part was cheap and takes 5 mins to replace. If that is the case would a washing machine repairer bother trying to locate the hole or would they just replace it? If it's that quick and easy what are we looking at roughly? If it's less than £50 and saves sending this back for repair or inspection I'll just get it fixed myself.
    Thanks again.

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Yes!
    Due to a combination of friends whose machine caught fire and a subsequent conversation with a fireman who told me how many house fires they had attended that were started by washing machines, I now only ever run my washing machine while I’m at home and never put it on if I have to go out.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

Yes!
    Due to a combination of friends whose machine caught fire and a subsequent conversation with a fireman who told me how many house fires they had attended that were started by washing machines, I now only ever run my washing machine while I’m at home and never put it on if I have to go out.
    What do you plan to do if the washing machine catches fire while you are at home?

I would much rather not be in the house while it is burning!!

• Oh and we never worry if we leave our machine on when we go out. Does anyone?
    Yes!
    What do you plan to do if the washing machine catches fire while you are at home?

I would much rather not be in the house while it is burning!!
    Er, call 999 before it spreads?

If I had a Beko I wouldn't leave it unattended, they have a reputation for spontaneous combustion. I don't share the same concerns about other brands - in fact time mine to switch on early in the morning whilst still asleep so I can get the clothes out before I start work. 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport