Safestyle literally begging me for business?

Hopefully getting some equity through on my remortgage and so I've decided to have my windows and patio doors replaced before the winter, as for the last two that I've lived here they've been very drafty.
All I'm after are my two bedroom windows replacing, and my patio doors in my lounge. Everest over the phone quoted me £3,500 which was a bit expensive. Next Safestyle were bombarding me with phone calls and booked me in for a quote.
On Thursday their sales rep turned up and conducted his sales pitch, then quoted me £4,500. I told him I felt this was too much, he knocked this down to £3,100. 

With two quotes in the £3000s, I told the representative I wanted to mull this over and get back to him. He asked how I could secure a sale with him today? I just said I wasn't sure. He rang his boss to see if there was any work going in the area over the next few months, and knocked this down to £2000! Even I don't understand how they're making much profit from that sale, but it seemed like they were relying on my business.

I feel like £4500 was a sales tactic to drop it down and make it feel like a bargain, I felt the £3100 was around the right price, but £2000 a steal. It even popped up on his iPad that this was undersold. 

I'm wondering why they were so eager to get my business? A huge company like Safestyle were practically on their hands and knees begging me to make a sale with them, and now I'm left feeling like this is too good to be true? 

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You dodged the bullet with Everest. Want to place a bet that Safestyle will go the same way ?

Get a couple of small, local independent companies in to give you a quote. I'm using a one man band to do my windows. Although he is not the cheapest (still undercuts the big nationals by a wide margin), he takes his time to do a very good job. If you think Safestyle have cut their price to the bone, what are the chances that they will cut corners and leave a shoddy job ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you saw what it said on his iPad then this was not by accident. If it said "undersold"....probably in big red letters....then this was something you were supposed to see to convince you that you were getting a good deal.

Whatever you do, in the current environment, make sure you pay our deposit by credit card to get Section 75 protection. There are a lot of companies going under. Deals that seem to good to be true, may well be a sign they are in trouble.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    FreeBear said:
    You dodged the bullet with Everest. Want to place a bet that Safestyle will go the same way ?

Get a couple of small, local independent companies in to give you a quote. I'm using a one man band to do my windows. Although he is not the cheapest (still undercuts the big nationals by a wide margin), he takes his time to do a very good job. If you think Safestyle have cut their price to the bone, what are the chances that they will cut corners and leave a shoddy job ?
    If you saw what it said on his iPad then this was not by accident. If it said "undersold"....probably in big red letters....then this was something you were supposed to see to convince you that you were getting a good deal.

Whatever you do, in the current environment, make sure you pay our deposit by credit card to get Section 75 protection. There are a lot of companies going under. Deals that seem to good to be true, may well be a sign they are in trouble.
    I did state to the guy that I feel like the work is going to be shoddy if they've cut the price down so much and he assured me not 🤔
    And yep, I buy everything on my credit card for Section 75 protection 😅
  • stay local and get more quotes . get a feel for the people that call to talk to you . Do not like safestyle or their sales methods . A price should be a price and they will rob their granny to get a sale . Remember people are not as savvy as you and will sign on the dotted at 4.5k . Tis sales tactic should be outlawed . (and 2k is way too cheap for French doors and 2 windows from them . )
  • I got my windows replaced by a local family run business who’ve been operating for decades. I looked at their windows and couldn’t see any difference in the specifications between them and Staybrite; indeed, although the guarantee was for ten years, fifteen years later they still look like new. 

As importantly, I wasn’t paying for overheads like nationwide advertising campaigns, training reps to sell rip-off deals etc.
  • Hopefully getting some equity through on my remortgage and so I've decided to have my windows and patio doors replaced before the winter, as for the last two that I've lived here they've been very drafty.
    All I'm after are my two bedroom windows replacing, and my patio doors in my lounge. Everest over the phone quoted me £3,500 which was a bit expensive. Next Safestyle were bombarding me with phone calls and booked me in for a quote.
    On Thursday their sales rep turned up and conducted his sales pitch, then quoted me £4,500. I told him I felt this was too much, he knocked this down to £3,100. 

With two quotes in the £3000s, I told the representative I wanted to mull this over and get back to him. He asked how I could secure a sale with him today? I just said I wasn't sure. He rang his boss to see if there was any work going in the area over the next few months, and knocked this down to £2000! Even I don't understand how they're making much profit from that sale, but it seemed like they were relying on my business.

I feel like £4500 was a sales tactic to drop it down and make it feel like a bargain, I felt the £3100 was around the right price, but £2000 a steal. It even popped up on his iPad that this was undersold. 

I'm wondering why they were so eager to get my business? A huge company like Safestyle were practically on their hands and knees begging me to make a sale with them, and now I'm left feeling like this is too good to be true? 
    Did you get your windows installed? I had pretty much the same experience with their sales person and just waiting for an installation date now.
  • Hopefully getting some equity through on my remortgage and so I've decided to have my windows and patio doors replaced before the winter, as for the last two that I've lived here they've been very drafty.

Did you get your windows installed? I had pretty much the same experience with their sales person and just waiting for an installation date now.
    did you go with safe style ? what was their starting price . What are you having done . 
  • Agree with the previous comments. Local independent is the way to go. Could be but doesn't need to be a one man band. Some independents are quite big. Definitely don't go with the Anglias and Everests.
  • And rang his boss ???😂😂😂😂
    That's the oldest one in the book.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport