We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Sycamore

Options
bouicca21
bouicca21 Posts: 6,519 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Sycamore seedlings  abound in my garden. Not usually a problem as they are easy to remove, but I missed one in an area where I was more bothered about the alkanet.  It is now about 18-24 inches tall and bushy, and very close to a yew tree.  I need to decide whether to try and dig it out or resort to chemicals.  Any ideas about how deep the roots are likely to be?  I finally killed the worst of the alkanet with extra strength glyphosphate and the help of the sunny spell, so I am quite prepared to give the sycamore the same treatment if that is easier than digging it out.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't have sycamore so I've no direct experience, but self-sown oaks, ash and hazels come out reasonably easily at that size, but I have a mattock if they don't!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,326 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've loads of seedling sycamore. That size should pull out quite easily, assuming you can get a grip on it
    They do succumb to glyphosphate should it be in an awkward spot

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Dig or pull it out if you can.
    I tried to kill a sycamore that grew like a tryffid and used the heaviest duty killer on the market. It too 2 goes before aparantly dying but an immovable trunk.
    A couple of years later it started producing new growth from the trunk! I moved house.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Haha, that last bit made me laugh @twopenny 😆
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I find a crowbar a useful tool
  • bouicca21
    Options
    I fear that I may need to acquire a crow bar - totally failed to get it out so far. Its roots are clearly more tenacious than ash (I get baby ash trees too, and they are easy to pull up).  I’m probably just a weakling but I offer the excuse that it is in an awkward spot.  The weather forecast looks ok so I think a shower of glyphosphate might be in order for tomorrow morning, as long as I can keep the stuff away from the yew tree.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glyphosate (dunno what this glyphosphate is!)  is cheapest, so just shield plants nearby. A crowbar is handy for fencing, planting and prising, but a mattock is much more versatile for digging, chopping roots, heavy duty weeding etc
  • bouicca21
    Options
    Chemistry was never my strong point, but I thought I was good at spelling.  Another illusion shattered.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,326 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bouicca21 said:
    Chemistry was never my strong point, but I thought I was good at spelling.  Another illusion shattered.
    Welcome to my world :)

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Black_Cat2
    Black_Cat2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Dig or pull it out if you can.
    I tried to kill a sycamore that grew like a tryffid and used the heaviest duty killer on the market. It too 2 goes before aparantly dying but an immovable trunk.
    A couple of years later it started producing new growth from the trunk! I moved house.
    Lol @ tryffid, must've been a sight! 🐈😂
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport