On holiday with no driving licence...

Hello - possibly a stupid question coming up...
I'm on holiday in Rhodes with my family.  We're staying in a resort hotel but are considering hiring a car to explore the island a bit while we are here.  It dawned on me today that I didn't bring my driving licence with me and I'm wondering if that means hiring a car is going to be impossible?
I passed my test in 1997 so only have a paper licence and have never had a photocard licence - in general I never take the licence with me anywhere and it just sits in a drawer at home with passports and other important documents.  I know my licence number and I've managed to generate the "check code" through the DVLA website which would enable any car hire firm to check all my details and (lack of) endorsements.  But will they still refuse to let us hire a car without a physical copy of the licence?  I could ask my parents to pop by the house and send us a picture of the licence if that might make any difference.
If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...

Replies

• edited 28 August 2020 at 3:49PM
    jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 August 2020 at 3:49PM
    I’ve always needed to produce my licence whenever I’ve hired a car.
     I can’t imagine you’d be able to without, I know a couple of people who’ve been refused a pre-booked (and paid for) hire car because they’d forgotten their licences, but ultimately only the car hire place will be able to confirm for sure.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter
    South facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 (offset) YTD £770.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highly unlikely that you will be able to hire a car without providing a driving licence.  The hirer will want to see proof that you are qualified to drive.
  • edited 28 August 2020 at 4:43PM
    TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 August 2020 at 4:43PM
    Greece, like many Euro countries, also requires you to carry your licence with you at all times whilst driving, and produce it on request.

Use a taxi ...may be cheaper anyway,.
  • MrChipsMrChips Forumite
    969 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said:
    Highly unlikely that you will be able to hire a car without providing a driving licence.  The hirer will want to see proof that you are qualified to drive.
    I have the pdf document that was generated with my check code from DVLA.  I don't think there's any info on the driving licence that isn't shown on there - name, licence number, vehicles I am qualified to drive, endorsements, licence validity period.
    So I can prove I have a licence and what info it contains, and given I don't have photocard licence I'm not honestly sure what the difference is!
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrChips said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    I have the pdf document that was generated with my check code from DVLA.  I don't think there's any info on the driving licence that isn't shown on there - name, licence number, vehicles I am qualified to drive, endorsements, licence validity period.
    So I can prove I have a licence and what info it contains, and given I don't have photocard licence I'm not honestly sure what the difference is!

I think people have answered and given their views on the situation.

If you remain unconvinced then surely asking the car rental firm in Rhodes that you plan to use will give you the final answer.
  • edited 29 August 2020 at 8:40AM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 August 2020 at 8:40AM
    MrChips said:
    TELLIT01 said:
    I suspect the hire firm will want to see the actual licence but as mentioned go into 1 and ask if they need to see your licence.

Just because you can remember the licence doesnt mean the licence could be fake, same with the photo of a licence as it could be doctored.
  • MrChipsMrChips Forumite
    969 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It's confirmed - no licence = no car (in Greece anyway!).  Thanks for all responses
  • melbmelb Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    when we were in Spain a few years ago, we contacted DVLA who faxed a copy of my driving licence.  Maybe times have changed since then and it also wouldn't help you in terms of having it on your possession I suppose.