Finding Estate Information

In an earlier post I asked about disinheriting by way of will the children of a pre-deceased daughter, I understand that this can be done, but how do I find out who is responsible for the estate if there is no will. Basically my kids grandmother died in July, for one reason or another she's had no contact with them since my wife's (her daughters) death in 2003, there is one surviving daughter who also has made no contact since 2003 (kids were 7,9 and 12 in 2003). I understand that if there is no will then the deceased daughter's inheritance passes to her kids, my question is how do I find out who is handling the estate if this is the case? I'm watching the UK Gov probate and wills website for a will but will this also show if there is no will?

Comments

• MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Try Certainty (which is the National Wills Registry). I'm in the process of making sure my own Will is Registered there - having ascertained that 70% of solicitors register Wills there and private individuals do so too.

Come My Time then people could either ring the local solicitors round here (not a lot of them and so wouldnt take much doing) or get in contact with Certainty.

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 August 2020 at 1:45PM
    To deal with an estate where no will is left, someone will need to apply for "Letters of Administration", which gives them the power to distribute the estate according to the rules of intestacy - so it will still show up on the government website, but as an administration rather then as probate. (https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills).

Whether official administration is necessary will depend on the size of the estate, what it consists of and in which institutions any assets are held - it is possible the estate could be dealt with without it appearing at all.

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did the grandmother own a property at the time of death?
  • Davylad
    Davylad Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 27 August 2020 at 6:14PM
    The grandmother did own property I would estimate the estate after the sale of property to be around the 200-250k, can I assume this would be enough to require official administration. I'm hesitant to leave it too long to just sit and wait as the other daughter would not be the type to invest any bequest wisely (I'm being nice)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the property was held in the sole name of the deceased, probate /LoA will be required  before it can be sold.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    xylophone said:
    If the property was held in the sole name of the deceased, probate /LoA will be required  before it can be sold.
    So it would be worth a quick check on the Land Registry website to see who is currently the registered owner. I think you can also put an 'alert' on a property to see if it ever changes hands. 

Of course, if the surviving daughter moves into the house and does not sell it, this won't get you any further forward. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Oh, and just to say that there's another situation in which the current ownership of the property might not help you, but it might give you a clue - if Grandma's house was sold before death, perhaps because she needed residential care, then obviously probate won't be needed to sell it now. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Davylad
    First Post
    Savvy_Sue said:
    xylophone said:
    So it would be worth a quick check on the Land Registry website to see who is currently the registered owner. I think you can also put an 'alert' on a property to see if it ever changes hands. 

Of course, if the surviving daughter moves into the house and does not sell it, this won't get you any further forward. 
    Would she be legally able to move in with 50% of the property belonging to the grandkids? I've checked and the house has not as yet been sold
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Davylad said:

Would she be legally able to move in with 50% of the property belonging to the grandkids? I've checked and the house has not as yet been sold
    It will be the estate (that includes the value of the house) that they have a share of - not the house itself.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Davylad
    First Post
    Robin9 said:
    Davylad said:

It will be the estate (that includes the value of the house) that they have a share of - not the house itself.
    So if the sister wanted stay in the house she would have to stump up half of the value?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback