Sudden hike in fees just before course

Hi looking for help for my girlfriend who has been in tears this morning:
Got the happy news about a bursary which covered her two year post grad course fees. Around £4,000 per year. Slightly perturbed it didn't cover anything else but she decided to make the best of it. Then suddenly she got an email about a price hike to double the amount, so around £8K per year, with no warning. The uni admins have claimed that it takes into account of the delivery of the course and the market. I was unaware the delivery/market could be a justification especially since we've lived with Covid for six months now. Shouldn't remote work makes things easier and more cost effective? And what are the legal ramifications for advertising a course at one price and then springing a different price weeks before the course begins? Isn't his false advertising?, 
Any help or advice gratefully received
Thanks guys

Comments

• Have got more details for the above: The figures are a definite £3K hike for each year so £6K total.
    Their website says the uni: "reserves the right to increase its fees in line with changes to legislation, regulation and any government guidance or decisions," whereas their reasoning with the hike has been it's about the delivery of the course and the market, which is arguably different and perhaps a conflict. Are there direct govt guidelines about changing the price?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is your girlfriend eligible for government funding?  https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Unfortunately she'd still have to find £6k, why? There's an arbitrary disparity between the website guidelines and the emailed reasons.... This is bad practice surely? 
  • Like any business they have to cover costs, but this isn't for the sudden drop in international students is it? Why do our students have to take the hit? 
  • What is the course and which institution? I think she needs to check and consider not taking the course. This doesnt sound like the normal way universities operate so I'd be suspicious.
  • Jay, it's a recognised uni. She has to do the course.  If you c/p the web text quote it will come up. I don't want to ID them directly as this may complicate things. They've been arbitrary and ambiguous and I think it's that grey area where academia meets business and the left hand confuses the right so to speak, no political inferences intended. Perhaps they've realised too late they need to get the money from somewhere, whatever, it's not fair. The site clearly says: 'legislation, regulation and any government guidance or decisions'. The email cites 'delivery of the course and the market' as a justification. This will be a blunder or an arrogant assumption the student will pay anyway. £6000 for somebody's budget miscalculation or sudden whim, it's not right.

JayRitchie said:
    What is the course and which institution? I think she needs to check and consider not taking the course. This doesnt sound like the normal way universities operate so I'd be suspicious.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback