Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Need everything quick for new rescue dog

edited 26 August 2020 at 8:03AM in Pets & pet care
5 replies 182 views
Annie-May_2Annie-May_2 Forumite
4 Posts
Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 26 August 2020 at 8:03AM in Pets & pet care
Dear Forum, please let me pick your brains. This Saturday we’re meeting a rescue dog for the first time. Due to his circumstances, if we are deemed to be a good match, we would be picking him up already the following day. That means I have to get fully kitted out in less than a day! Where should I go which doesn’t break the bank. Alternatively I was thinking I could start shopping around this week And then return goods if it doesn’t happen. All subtly though as I’m lumbered with the kids and I don’t want to tell them anything until it’s a done deal. 

We have the added extra of a resident cat so I will Also need some baby gates and the like. 

Has anyone done this sort of mad dash arrangement before? How did you go about it with out spending a fortune!

we have been dog owners in the past so we do feel we know what we are doing. It’s just that it’s all happening so quick.

Replies

• ace33ace33 Forumite
    51 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouildn't stress.
    Realistically you won't need a lot.
    Is this an older dog or puppy? If an older dog the only essentials would be a collar and lead and a blanket or cushion to sleep on.
    Check freecycle and places for stairgates or post on FB people are usually glad to be rid of them.
  • 203846930203846930 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Agree with checking Freegle.
    You could also take a look in Aldi, they had a pet special on last Thursday and lots of good stuff at fair prices.
  • edited 26 August 2020 at 10:16AM
    tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 August 2020 at 10:16AM
    If you need to fit a stairgate against a round newel post it is worth getting the right Y-shaped adapter for this. Anything else just does doesn't work. 

Apart from that you don't need much; a couple of food bowls, a water bowl and blanket will do. The rescue may be able to sell or even give you some of this.

Ask what the dog has been having to eat and try to get some of this from the rescue so that you can wean him onto his eventual diet slowly. We get our pet food delivered from Pets At Home on an automatically repeating order.    

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • edited 26 August 2020 at 10:38AM
    kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 26 August 2020 at 10:38AM
    Food / water bowls, try the local discount shop, get about 4 and the right size for the amount of food the dog will be eating at one sitting, the rest are for clean / water
    Other stuff
    Good leash and collar or halti, the dog should come with one
    Grooming brush and comb.
    Dog bed / old blanket
    Poo bags
    When time permits, you can look at long lines, toys, treats, coats, kennels.
    You need to consider the size of the dog, and are you sure it can live with cats?
    Pet insurance /  vet / training classes are other things to consider

Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea
  • edited 26 August 2020 at 10:42AM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    29.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 26 August 2020 at 10:42AM
    The only thing I would add to that list is a crate, if your new rescue is known to be crate trained and happy to setlle in one. Gives them time and space to settle and get away from you, the kids and the environment if they're finding it all too much. And if they are destructive so you can leave them safely when you need to pop out. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.