Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Government Eco Scheme.(new boiler).

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Government Eco Scheme.(new boiler).

15 replies 729 views
Has anyone used this scheme in order to get a new boiler installed,pip benefit was part of the criteria for it.It says free or lower advance payment.Is it a genuine scheme.

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone used this scheme in order to get a new boiler installed,pip benefit was part of the criteria for it.It says free or lower advance payment.Is it a genuine scheme.

The new Government scheme doesn't start until September, so no one will have used it yet. For a new boiler i believe you must be a home owner but it doesn't cover the whole cost, only 2 thirds of the cost. Like all grants, there's always a catch. See link.

• 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The new Government scheme doesn't start until September, so no one will have used it yet. For a new boiler i believe you must be a home owner but it doesn't cover the whole cost, only 2 thirds of the cost. Like all grants, there's always a catch. See link.

Also - it seems that you can;t pick and choose your home iinprovement - if they state "Cavity wall, roof insulation, replacement boiler and double glazing" - it's all or nothing !
    So, could still cost you a lot of spondulix...
    Renters can apply - with permission of the landlord.

Things may (or may not) get better
  • venisonvenison Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new £5000 eco grant will NOT cover boilers under any circumstances.
    Boycott the right wing press !
  • rjmachinrjmachin Forumite
    107 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Is the OP thinking of the ECO3 scheme where you can get a replacement boiler either free or for a small contribution?
    https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk/pages/energy-company-obligation
    The link above has a button to check if you are eligible and then fill in contact details.
  • Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of companies take advantage of these sorts of grant schemes by hiking prices because they know the homeowner is only paying for part of it.   I looked into various grants and schemes to help fund the restoration of a listed property, many of which required that the work was done by a company on their shortlist of ‘approved contractors’.  In each ‘opportunity’ for funding that I looked into there was very little difference in cost between the grant+approved company option or just finding a ‘normal’ contractor.
    I suppose it’s a bit like taking your car to a local garage for some minor crash repairs or claiming on insurance - as soon as a garage knows there is an insurance company paying the bill the price seems to become much higher.
    I’m not suggesting ignoring such grants, but just be wary and get alternative quotes as well - you may be surprised.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rjmachin said:
    Is the OP thinking of the ECO3 scheme where you can get a replacement boiler either free or for a small contribution?
    https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk/pages/energy-company-obligation
    The link above has a button to check if you are eligible and then fill in contact details.

It's rarely given completely free....
  • kazzahkazzah Forumite
    460 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    We took advantage last October - we paid £745 towards a brand new boiler ( this included an extended warranty payment our choice)  it does/did depend on if the scheme was operating in your area at the time- we were lucky - the boiler we replaced was over 15 years old - all works carried out to high spec and we were very pleased with the whole process :)
  • venisonvenison Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Over the years we have had 2 new boilers on different schemes for different homes, both were 100% free although one did take 9 months.
    Boycott the right wing press !
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    46.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ECO scheme has been around since 2013 in various incarnations, and requires you to be in receipt of certain benefits. The new Green Homes Grant is entirely different, and, as stated above, excludes gas or oil boilers. Only heat pumps, solar thermal and biomass boilers are covered.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • BigwelliesBigwellies Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We have just had a new GAS boiler fitted in the loft with all piping to the position of the existing old (now removed for scrap) oil boiler.
    We have not had an invoice yet but to pay within 14 days.  The estimate (not a quote) says plus VAT.
    My question is what rate of VAT is it for new boilers.  5% or 20 % ?
    I did see something on Gov.uk (Vat), that the controls and wiring for the boiler is at 5% (reduced VAT rate), is this true ?