124»

Comments

• ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MaxJones said:
    ratechaser said:
     All I can say is that 20 years of fairly mind numbing but extremely well paid work means that I can give it all up any time I want*. Which is definitely worth something...

(* timing subject to review and approval by Mrs RC)
    Which means you can't!!
    Ah, there's always one genius that can figure out the subtle subtext  :D
    ratechaser said:
     All I can say is that 20 years of fairly mind numbing but extremely well paid work means that I can give it all up any time I want*. Which is definitely worth something...

(* timing subject to review and approval by Mrs RC)
    Which means you can't!!
    Ah, there's always one genius that can figure out the subtle subtext  :D
    Yes there is always one
    Except in your case, where I appear to be seeing double...  :p
  • Cromwell77
    Options
    Brynsam said:

I just want to ask everyone,  is everyone thinking the same thing as me but just getting on with it because they have to?  is a job something you have to like?  is a job just a job for earning money?  in addition, my job doesn't have a lot of social interaction ? maybe this is why

but to tell you the truth I am just everyday thinking of an exit plan but the exit plan is not yet to be seen... I just need to figure something out because this cant be it, it just can't

You're in your 20s but sound as if you have a lot of growing up to do. Instead of hoping things will magically come right with limited effort on your part, direct your energies towards finding something you will enjoy doing. Much more constructive than posting anguished rants here (spoiler alert: doing so won't improve things for you).
    I think looking for an exit plan is a great idea and just wish I had done that in my 20’s. I am 50 Over the last 11 years I have worked full time for 1  year started cutting back to 4 then 3  then 1 and for the last year before I was made redundant 2. I have my own business in the background this is now “full time” I work sometimes 60 hours a week sometimes 10 depends what’s needed and when. The downside is that every now and again m6 phone goes at a weekend or I have to pop in to the warehouse Ona Sunday. On the other hand I can drop my child at school and then take her to the park after I swim every morning if I don’t want to work for a day I don’t. 

I would never go back to being employed sure it’s easy to take a salary come what may but you have little control over your destiny and less over your time, time is something that you can’t buy and I will never have the time I am using now back. 
  • amandacat
    Options
    I experienced a hate for work in a lot of my 20s and early 30s, the morning commute, the same office, the same routine. In my my early 30s I started a field based job role that involved me driving to different client sites. I loved it, the fact that every day was different and I felt a strange sense of freedom. So many people would leave to go back to working in one place as they hated field work but I loved it and have been doing it ever since. 
    Everyone is different and it’s about finding something you enjoy. It took me several career changes to find the right job. 
  • If you hink you're trapped now, wait until you have kids ! 
    Really . To the convenient line of I have children, that can't possibly be worked. As a the sole full-timer along with 2 people part time with child related excuses who seem to be able to dictate their hours to suit I am not looking forward to the months that lie ahead. One has already told me working 30 hours makes them tired and literally has to leave half hour early on the one and only day they spend in office as they don't want to spend 2 hours getting home when they must have known where said workplace was when taking job on But because of kids they have enough assertiveness behind them to command this. As the single childless woman I hate that my recent nights sleep awakens me thinking about the office and working day to there being no one to cover when I need to take time off because children clearly then come first! It's ok then. But I need to work in an office and clean the Shaz hole for my own home to come second best.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback