9-5 employment and life

Options

hello im fairly new to this forum

I am writing here to get some advice,  I have been working in a 9-5 job for 3 years now and im just thinking what is this life?  money yes its great but my life is slipping away from my every own eyes working like a fricken robot.   im not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I just feel like floating in this life of just robotic-ness.  im in my 20s and yes I should look forward to retirement and saving for a pension but hey what would this great deal of money do when my body will be weak-er when im old so how can I enjoy?  anyways ive been thinking about this for a while and I am watching others just get by and do this day in day out and I think 'where are you all' and 'what are you thinking' everyone just llooks like zombies working for this master?   we enjoy weekends yes and evenings but this routine is just killing me...… and you might think what an ungrateful person ... I know I thought the same..how can I think like this....I am grateful of course but does anyone else think think the same as me...there must be more to life!

I am stuck in this job but if I stop and quit,  the worse part is I don't know what I should do..like my purpose of the job that would give me satisfaction, having no direction is also a problem here. so maybe I wait and continue on this journey and 'see  what happens' with this plan that everyone is doing.

ahh I cant explain this dread of every day commuting doing a job for someone else and coming back home like 2-3 hours to relax and going to work again... just thinking about it makes me so depressed.

every day im getting older and the years are just going by so fast its scary! next thing ill probably think what the hell did I do with my life, that's great I have this money but what this part of the plan!!!!   sometimes im happy im thinking this way because I can see its not right and everyone hasn't figured it out yet and sometimes I think shut up and get on with it and stop complaining and being a brat, but we humans are born on this planet to do great things and I just feel like I'm not and I'm just wasting my potential to do great things whilst wasting it by working for society and the 'master'  anyways let me tell you- I am content the jobs ok, the job pays well, I do a good job but am I fulfilled and am I happy- NO.  should I just carry on saving this money until this light bulb moment comes and just get on with it?

I just want to ask everyone,  is everyone thinking the same thing as me but just getting on with it because they have to?  is a job something you have to like?  is a job just a job for earning money?  in addition, my job doesn't have a lot of social interaction ? maybe this is why

but to tell you the truth I am just everyday thinking of an exit plan but the exit plan is not yet to be seen... I just need to figure something out because this cant be it, it just cant

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees and the concept of "full time" is always has been typically an 8hr block, 9-5 or some other variation like 8-4 or 7:30-3:30.  It sounds like you're fed up with your job, if you don't like it then the easiest thing to do is to jump on the job websites and seek out another one, but don't be surprised if the hours don't change, you only tend to get higher wages for shorter hours once you've stuck at it for many years.

The other option of course is to hand your notice in and go self employed, then you do whatever hours you like, if you only want to do 9am-10:30am, that's up to you.  But you have to take the rough with the smooth with this option, and you'll put  more effort into getting things going and not seeing any financial benefits for a while, sometimes if ever.

Work to live, not live to work.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My take on it is as you have to work for 40 ish years you have to do something that gives you satisfaction. Luckily my employment and my husband's had high earnings so we were able to spend a lot and retire early comfortably.  You have to decide what you want to do with your future, what would give you satisfaction.  I note in your other post you are still living with your parents.  Maybe time to move out and share a flat or something with your own age group and get ideas off them.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I sounds like you aren't in a great job, for you.  What sort of 'great things' attract you to accomplish? 
    The less you spend, the less you need to earn. Every time you take out credit or buy now pay later you are committing yourself to working in future. 
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    i feel your pain OP.  i worked in jobs that were mind bending boring.  i had to listen to idiots telling me what to do, thinking they know it all.  i actually had a yellow sticker on my dressing table mirror for years, which says "You have to get bored to get paid", lol, to remind myself why i need to continue working.

there were jobs that i would have really enjoyed doing but they don't pay as much and for me, it was all about money.  i did try to move to another area but i found it was very difficult as i wanted to keep the same salary.  it went on for years and it was very depressing.  i eventually found a job that i really liked but although i liked it, it was stressful and difficult to do so it wasn't that great either.

sometimes you just got to stick with it to make a living or you could try to move to a job that you would like to do, if you are not that bothered about the money.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    9-5 is just eight hours of your day. What are you doing with the remaining sixteen hours (or eight hours if you allow for sleep)? Weekends? Work is boring when it is the only thing in your life. Find something to do in your free time that inspires you, that you can look forward to during those 9-5 hours ("Woohoo, in three hours time I'm going skydiving" :D )
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kids nowadays not used to working or waiting for things 
    Too much given to them on a plate
    What happening to "anything worthwhile is worth waiting for" - it's all -- me,me, me, now, now, now
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is the best post I've read all day!
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

hello im fairly new to this forum

I am writing here to get some advice,  I have been working in a 9-5 job for 3 years now and im just thinking what is this life?  money yes its great but my life is slipping away from my every own eyes working like a fricken robot.   im not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I just feel like floating in this life of just robotic-ness.  im in my 20s and yes I should look forward to retirement and saving for a pension but hey what would this great deal of money do when my body will be weak-er when im old so how can I enjoy?  anyways ive been thinking about this for a while and I am watching others just get by and do this day in day out and I think 'where are you all' and 'what are you thinking' everyone just llooks like zombies working for this master?   we enjoy weekends yes and evenings but this routine is just killing me...… and you might think what an ungrateful person ... I know I thought the same..how can I think like this....I am grateful of course but does anyone else think think the same as me...there must be more to life!

I am stuck in this job but if I stop and quit,  the worse part is I don't know what I should do..like my purpose of the job that would give me satisfaction, having no direction is also a problem here. so maybe I wait and continue on this journey and 'see  what happens' with this plan that everyone is doing.

ahh I cant explain this dread of every day commuting doing a job for someone else and coming back home like 2-3 hours to relax and going to work again... just thinking about it makes me so depressed.

every day im getting older and the years are just going by so fast its scary! next thing ill probably think what the hell did I do with my life, that's great I have this money but what this part of the plan!!!!   sometimes im happy im thinking this way because I can see its not right and everyone hasn't figured it out yet and sometimes I think shut up and get on with it and stop complaining and being a brat, but we humans are born on this planet to do great things and I just feel like I'm not and I'm just wasting my potential to do great things whilst wasting it by working for society and the 'master'  anyways let me tell you- I am content the jobs ok, the job pays well, I do a good job but am I fulfilled and am I happy- NO.  should I just carry on saving this money until this light bulb moment comes and just get on with it?

I just want to ask everyone,  is everyone thinking the same thing as me but just getting on with it because they have to?  is a job something you have to like?  is a job just a job for earning money?  in addition, my job doesn't have a lot of social interaction ? maybe this is why

but to tell you the truth I am just everyday thinking of an exit plan but the exit plan is not yet to be seen... I just need to figure something out because this cant be it, it just can't

Given you want to buy a house in today's other thread, you may find you need to figure how to enjoy earning money.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6183588/want-to-buy-parents-council-house#latest
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback